A quick question about toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexaroni

Daemon Poster
Hey, I just made a nice piece of toast out of my motherboard, one of the RAM slots fried, and it burnt the RAM, and melted the ram slots, and sent smoke up. I KNOW the stick of RAM that was in there is shot, as well as the motherboard, but is the CPU gone?

Also, before anything fried, I was getting beep codes telling me the RAM was messed up, I had my brand new X1900 in there. I took it out before anything fried, but I am still concerned that it may be toasted too. Is that a possibility?

I am just curious about how much in the hole I really am...

It's possible that everything in your computer is shot, and the only way to find out is by testing each of the componants. If there are visible dark spots then don't even bother, but if it looks fine then test it.

What did you do to make that happen anyway... ?

I dunno, I was just transferring parts to a new case, and it fried when I booted it. I don't have any idea what happened.

I am going to try and bring it to the local comp store when I get a new mobo and RAM and see if they can test out all my other parts.

I am REALLY hoping it all still works :(

UPDATE:
I smashed the mobo into little pieces. It was blackened in multiple areas, and it was an ECS POS anyways.

One stick of RAM is toasted for sure, it had about 4 pins missing, and burn marks in their places. The other is probably okay, but I am not taking a chance, I may take it into a shop to see if it is still good, but until then, it is going into the closet.

I just did a trade, and with it, I will be getting an EVGA NF-41, which is a Nforce 4 PCI-E SLI board, a big step up from my uATX onboard graphic, single PCI-E slot board.

I also got one stick of Corsair Valueram (1gb), so that will fill in one of the boards slots.

If everything else still works, life is good. If not... well than ****.

I didn't smash my old CPU, it is sitting in a bag in a box right now waiting for my new mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom