Some help for upgrading my basic computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Of Kings

Beta member
I bought a PC a while ago, to use for some school work and the internet, and want to improve itnow. I have about $300 to $400 to spend on it. What should I improve? Am I right in saying the only real things I need to change to make it go much faster are the processor and RAM? The only reason I'm doing this is to play proper games, like Callof Duty.

Is it possible within my budget? if so, what things should I buy?

Thanks a lot :)

and here are my basic specs. I don't know how to find the other stuff, so this is just my processor and RAM (As you know).

Celeron 2.50ghz (What does this Celeron mean? Is it the same as a normal 2.50ghz processor?)
128mb RAM

I know sod all about computers liek I said, but even i know this is really bad. It's done the job up to now though, but I just fancy a change. I'm not interested about graphics/sound cards or anything like that either.

Thanks for your help.

celeron are cheap versions of P4s with less l2 cache and some other things that help p4's go faster.

celeron 2.5 - 128 kb cache i think
P4 equivalent would be 256 or 512.
of course there is alot bigger these days.

you probably need about 1 gb of ram to play cod well and nothing under 2.5 Ghz P4. you'll need to find one with the same socket as your celeron unless you get a new motherboard.

You're not interested in graphics ? surely what you have now will not be sufficient to play call of duty ?

yeah hes right at least an old agp card like a 6800 or u have a pci express motherboard then maybe u could spring for a 7600 gs or gt....and a p4 3.0ghz or 3.2 would be rather quick and handle cod if thats all ur going to be playing but bf 2 wont be so stable.

What exactly does a motherboard do? I've always thought it holds together all the varius parts of the entire PC. Am I right here? If you had a bad motherboard, but excellent everything else, the PC wouldn't perform at full spec, right?

Thanks for you help.

what you say is right but chances are if your have a "bad motherboard" the excellent everything else will not be compatible with it. depending on how bad it is.

judging by the fact your system came with 128 mb ram as standard id say it would be a motherboard that will not have pci-e slot or the right socket for the newer processors.

i think my girlfriend has 1 exactly like it. not even one of those ones that are a tower. the one you have is it one that stands up strait (your tower im talking about the thing that your cd rom drives are on (if u even have any lol) or is it a lying down one where a monitor could sit on top of it (cause if its 1 of them id say you should probly go buy a whole new computer but this is my opion

Well for example a bad motherboard would be my motherboard which cant overclock past 200mhz before restarting or locking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom