Yet another conflict...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Ever since I've been getting closer and closer to ordering a new rig, my thoughts keep getting shaken by rising prices of Conroe and lowering prices of AMD. So what's the better bang for the buck out of the two setups?

First AMD setup:

[New !!!] Nzxt Apollo Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black More Options
** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply
[Socket-AM2] AMD Athlon™64 X2 4600+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink
GigaByte GA-M55SLI-S4 nForce4-SLI Chipset w/7.1 Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB
2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand More Options
ATI Radeon x1900XTX 512mb
250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]
[** Special !!! ***] 16X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black More Options
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

Price: $1,329 That's alot lower than it used to be.

Conroe setup:

[New !!!] Nzxt Apollo Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black
** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6600 (2x 2.4GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)
Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink + 2 Extra Color Lighting Case Fans
** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** MSI P965 Neo-F i965P Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA, USB 2.0 PCI-E MB
2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand More Options
Nvidia 7900GT 256mb
250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]
[** Special !!! ***] 16X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black More Options
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

Price: $1,408 That is higher than what it was a week ago. I noticed that the site kicked up their prices on their conroes. It costs $100 more to upgrade to E6600 than it did before. There was never a special on it.

So yeah, the main question is...Should i go with AMD with all the goodies or spend more for a Conroe and not get as many goodies? The graphics card is what comes to mind when i say "goodies". I've heard nothing but awesome things about the x1900XT(X).

Your comments are very much appreciated.

I vote for AMD w/ the ATI xfx card. Your games are going to be more limited by your video card than your processor I suspect.

+1 for AMD

I would say go for the Conroe setup... that 7900 is pretty dam good as well, plus the Conroe in benches supposedly beats AMD...

Well it depends,

If you will voltmod and overclock your video card then Conroe FTW, if not, AMD FTW.

The 7900GT Is a very good card once you tweak it a little, but the X1900XTX is better [alot better] without any tweaks at all.

-Jo.

Alright sweet. Another reason i brought up the x1900XTX topic is because I'm a member of the Oblivion boards and i asked them which card tends to run that game very well. They said high-end ATIs are better for Oblivion like the x1900XT and XTX.

No, I dont play Oblivion right now, but I joined those boards too because I knew i could learn alot from perhaps the most demanding game out there hardware wise.

Another thing, I see topics here and there about how people want to buy x1900XTXs, but everyone says just get a XT instead and OC is to XTX speeds. Any comments on this? Or should i just leave it on XTX since ive never OCed anything in my life and pay just a bit more.

Ok thanks. I'll just leave the setup as it is when i posted this topic. The AMD looks like a killer bang-for-the-buck to me. If the price stays, which it should, I'm going to have that on my doorstep within a month. Thanks.

Good deal.. congrats... I personally would have chose the AMD as well, but no one wanted to say anything about the intel setup, so I did... :p Just to see what someone would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom