Quick question regarding new PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrush

Beta member
Hi guys, friend pointed me this way for a quick anser to the following question! Sure you guys will know this one! :)

Got two friends at work who both said that since fitting AGP graffix cards they have been having problems with the machines shutting down while playing games or doing something a bit more graffix intrinsic than your normal web surfing etc...

Both have 250w PSU's and the cards they bought both state they need minimum 400w PSU's (actually one guys card only needs a 350w PSU)

Anyway, I said I would have a nose online to see who does PSU's and how much, and found this one;

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=61308

It's a 500w PSU, which I suggested as it'll have plenty of power in reserve. Both machines use ATX style mobo's etc (think both have P4 chips, can't remember)

Anyway, my question is - how does the whole bunch of wires that has all the plugs on it for CD/DVD drives, floppy drives, HDD's, gfx cards etc connect to the PSU? In the extra pics on ebuyer's site, it just shows a bunch of wires coming out of a grommet on the back, but not how many plugs etc it has.

Do you have to open the PSU up to plug in a "sub loom" type thing, ie using the loom from your old PSU, thus taking it apart, unplugging it all, and plugging it into the new one?

Ta muchness!

No idea pal :( All I know is they are both 128mb (I think) AGP cards - one has a built in fan and the other hasn't.

Both these guys are not hardcore PC user's, and not pc builders/modders either - neither am I really.

But they both need new PSU's as the 250w ones they have don't have enough power to supply the gfx cards. But they don't wanna spend a lot of money...

To be honest, I just go on the reviews and ratings on ebuyers site :eek:

you wouldn't have to open up anything in any PSU to plug in the new items. Just make sure that during your research you find a PSU that has the plugs you need. Most companies have a fitting picture of what's on their product so you can match it up to what you need. now-a-days you'll have extra plugs... No worries, just zip-tie them and tuck em away. but you will need to find out what kind of machine they have and what kind of PSU it is as well.. (either a mirco ATX type or regular size) and I would say a decent 350-400w Antec would do depending on the last statement I made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom