CRT vs LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CRTs are getting harder and harder to find, and I think they will die off completely once SED panels hit. For those who prefer to hang on to the CRT to the end, you have to realise how much better LCDs are getting. With 8ms, 4ms, and 2ms panels, it nearly eliminates ghosting in games. Also, you are starting to see 1400:1 and higher contrast ratios in LCDs, which will make for blacker blacks and whiter whites, a problem that has long plagued LCDs and one that is keeping the gamers hangin' on to CRTs.

Raphael Argus said:

In regards to the native resolution on LCDs, how bad does it look if you do adjust it below it's native?

My vid card is the 7900GT if that will make a difference, and trying to stay as close to the 19.8" viewable I have on my CRT as possible.

Most LCDs have a native resolution of 1280x1024 or higher. If the pixel pitch is above .264, you will get a washed out picture if you set it below the native resolution, basically it looks a lot like the image a Playstation 2 gives, even with today's latest games.

This is a problem because todays games are so demanding that even todays top cards can not expect much more than 1024x768 in these games if you want all the eye candy turned on. This is a problem for LCD users. This is one of the primary reasons for SLI, so people who are not satisfied with 1024x768 can run next-gen games at higher resolutions.

LOL Well I was going to buy an LCD! I can't even make a decesion between white or wheat bread, so I guess I'll just stick with a CRT, at least I know what I'll get. Thanks for the help, and I appreciate the detailed info Biot3ch.

LCD's are REALLY expensive. just for a 19"
they arent as good as CRT's YET
that subject was covered by the general

i would just buy a 21" CRT for 1/4 the price
they arent a pain in the *** until it comes to getting rid of them
ive made a habit of keeping them in my basement :)

I just got my new LCD Monitor and i have to say i love it. The quality of the screen is unmatched to my old 17" CRT. But it was also 7 years old, and wasnt a flatscreen. I guess if you're gonna get a crt i would definetly get a flatscreen monitor.

john3 said:
wow that viewsonic has some great reviews..........*sarcasm*

Some people on newegg know absolutley nothing...

I was reading reviews on a 512 MB video card *cant remember witch one* and he was saying "Good card, but I think we should all wait for 1024 MB cards this fall...they should be out very soon.."

Dont trust those reviews 100%...they can complete bull$hit..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom