Upgrading CPU: P4-M -> P-M? Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecjahn

Daemon Poster
So I finally got my laptop that I've been longing for (due to a little bit of financial help from my 'rents, since the 12th was my birthday :D). It's a 1.8GHz P4-M, which is fairly fast, but eventually wont be fast enough.

To start off, I know the advantages of a P-m over a P4-m. I bought the P4 because of price restrictions. Had to get something used, and the P-Ms were too much.

So I'll get to the question. Can I upgrade a P4-m to a P-m?
It's pretty simple, yes/no question.

I have searched around for an answer through google, but to no avail. All I could find are upgrades through the same CPU model (which I found that I can get an applicable P4-M up to 2.6GHz.)
I know for a fact that there are 400mhz (fsb) versions of the P-M chips with the correct number of pins, so it wont be a size issue that I know of. I'm just curious about what my laptop motherboard will do with this semi-foreign CPU in it.

So, assuming this is not possible, I have another question.

What sort of reprocussions will I suffer if I simply upgrade to a higher clocked P4-M? Will I have dramatic heat changes, or even problems? (I'll definitely check to see what the highest CPU they put in my particular model is before I buy one, and not exceed that) Will it have effects on battery life? (hopefully not, due to speedstep?)

If you have any answers to these questions, that'd be sweet if you could... answer them. Thanks, all.

It's really not that big of a deal to upgrade it. It's a simple matter of removing a keyboard and whatever apparatus holds the heatsink/pipe/fan assembly on (probably about 4 screws).

Now if you mean not putting a P-M in it, yes. I won't touch it, unless I know for sure an upgrade like this wont destroy both my motherboard and CPU, or just not work at all. Nor do I want to purchase one, and find out that it won't work.

SHAWN said:
I wouldnt touch the CPU in a laptop IMO. The laptop is designed for that specific processor. Just my .02.

What he was getting at was not a question of "is it possible" but other issues that you would face. The major one would be heat. That laptop's whole design was based on the idea that it would have a p4-m in it. Also what socket is the current cpu? The new cpu would have to match.

Heat would not be a problem, I don't think. I'm fairly sure that the P-M processors will run significantly cooler than the P4, due to it being newer and better. I understand the many many little problems that can occur. I realize this is a longshot. I understand the workings and limitations of different hardwares.

I'm relatively sure they have the same socket, since they do have the same number (actually some have one more, which I understand won't work) of pins.

I'm just hoping someone knows a definite answer.

The socket for the P4-M would probaly be 478, maybe 775. P-M are socket 479 and are not compatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom