Harddrive, or Powersupply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silence782

In Runtime
Okay, here's the thing: I'm working on a PC that had a harddrive die in it. The hard drive was an old maxtor 10 gig I had lying around. When the PC died, it just kept restarting, and when I dumped the OS and tried to reformat, the reformat would freeze at 91% and halt.

So, after I took the old harddrive out, I tested the molex connector that the harddrive was connected to. The outputs were 12.2 volts yellow wire, 5 volts even, red wire. I'm pretty sure that when testing a powersupply it's okay to allow for a variance of plus or minus 0.4 volts right?

Well after I tested the molex, I put in another 10 gig I had lying around, and loaded an OS and the service pack. I got to restart, and nothing. Black screen. Checking the BIOS, I see that the harddrive isn't being recognised. I have the BIOS search for the hardrive and it finds it. Reboot once again, and blck screen. So I wait, letting the computer idle. after about 2 minutes the XP load screen appears, and the computer loads normally.

Now, my question is, could I just have two rotten harddrives, or is my powersupply to blame? The power supply is relatively new, and the user that uses the computer only uses it about once every few days. But the hardrives I've been using in it are are all thrid hand. but if the drives were bad, wouldn't they just not work at all, or have some other strange error?

Any help you could give would be appreciated....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom