dual boot - hal.dll error with one OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke32

Beta member
okay the situation is like this:

i got XP on a 30 gb partition of a 200 GB SATA hard disk (with 170 gb for storage)

then i got XP on another 40 GB IDE hard disk

now, BIOS (or somethin or other) can detect both operating systems as i'm giving the selection to boot into the OS of my choice when i start up the computer - however, i can no longer boot into the OS on the IDE hard disk

it says somethin along the lines of a hal.dll missing or corrupt

now listen up - it's one of two things causing this:

prior to installing xp on the sata hard disk i edited the boot.ini file on my IDE hard disk (you don't need to know why) and i could no longer boot into that hard disk after i went to reboot

so i got ticked off, and popped in my reinstallation CD for XP that came with the computer and did two things - i ran some command i think it was called FIXBOOT and i also cleared the MBR or restored it to default or somethin along those lines and then i wiped out the 30 gb partition on the sata, so a fresh installation of XP was set up on the SATA hard disk

now i ain't so smart with computers (incase it isn't obvious) but anyways what i wanna know is:

what do i have to do in order to make the IDE hard disk bootable again - it claims to be a problem with the hal.dll, but as i stated above it must of been caused of one of my actions before

alright any help or suggestions or whatever are appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom