Upgrading PC to AMD 900 - help plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ay-c

Beta member
So I don't have the best PC ever.. it's an AMD K6-2 500. Recently I got hold of an Athlon 900 processor and it's accompanied motherboard (I think it's an Abit KA7). I fixed everything in last night and put them in the right places, but the thing is, it won't switch on! I have the processor and PSU in perfectly. I also have 256mb RAM installed fine and all the IDE cable placed into the motherboard fine. What could be causing it to not turn on at all? I hope it's not down to a faulty motherboard or processor cus then I'll be pi**ed.

Thanks for any help given.

What kind/size power supply do you have?

If your power supply has a power switch, make sure it is turned on. If you PS has a voltage adjustment make sure it is set correctly. (in the US 115 is standard)

If all that is fine....

The faster more beefy processor like the AMD Athlon 900 will require more juice to function happily than your old K6-500.

A couple of troubleshooting things you can try:

Disconnect everything from the motherboard, RAM, IDE, any PCI or AGP cards, processor, etc. So that all you have left connected is the power supply connected to the motherboard, and the power switch connected to the motherboard. Then see if you can fire it up and get power. All yo uneed to knwo is if you can get power to the board so what you are doing is reducing the power load to see if the power supply can power just the motherboard.

If this works, then start adding components one at a time starting with the processor, firing it up in between each addition. If it stops firing up after a particular component or after you have everything put back together, I'd say invest in a new power supply, at least 300Watts, i prefer Antec or Allied brands, they both hve good warranties, and see if that resolves your problem.

Have you connected the main power adapter into the motherboard, may seem a stupid question but its suprising how many people miss it.

Jack :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom