need help on building computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddyastuffed

Beta member
EDIT: when i first thought of this, i didnt think it would be that long. just bear with it please! thanks!

hey everyone! greetings to all im new, but not too new to the computer age. been dealing with computers for years now, but havent really 'built' a computer since geforce 3's were the hottest thing on the market (yeah i know im oldschool -_-). anyways, im in the market to help build my uncle, that just moved to america, a decent computer. he wants to have a fairly powerful computer that he can play games like wc3 and others if his heart desires. he is TRUELY on a budget, coming to america with $0.00!! so hes lookin to spend around $300-$400. ive been doing quite a bit of research and i guess theres been a lot of changes in the computer realm since i last built a computer. pci-e graphics cards, sata drives, etc. are all new to me, so bear with me. these r the components ive put together for his computer. i have 2 builds in mind: either one with a onboard gfx card or one with an independent card.

build 1 w/ independent gfx card:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor $114.00
Motherboard: ASUS K8U-X ATX AMD Motherboard $48.00
Memory: Crucial 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory $84.99
Video Card: eVGA Geforce FX5500 256-A8-N313-LX Video Card $54.00
Video Card Mail-in Rebate -$15.00
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 $55.00
CD/DVD Drive: NEC Silver IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A $38.99
Case: COOLMAX CV-590-WHITE W/O PSU White 0.6mm Steel $14.99
Power Supply: Provided by Me :) $0.00

Total: $394.97

build 2 w/ onboard gfx:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor $114.00
Motherboard: BIOSTAR GEFORCE 6100-M7 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $59.99
Memory: Crucial 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory $84.99
Video Card: None $0.00
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 $55.00
CD/DVD Drive: NEC Silver IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3550A $38.99
Case: COOLMAX CV-590-WHITE W/O PSU White 0.6mm Steel $14.99
Power Supply: Provided by Me :) $0.00
Accessory: ASPIRE 20 pin to 24 pin ATX Power Supply Converter $3.75

Total: $371.71

now i have some questions on these 2 builds.
1) to begin with, how is biostar on motherboard production? i honestly have only recently heard their name. i am much more leaning towards the asus motherboard just because i know asus is a good manufacturer (i own an asus board myself).
2) next, these new sata drives seem to be something that people r moving towards. so i figured i might as well get him one of those (also provides for good air flow). what im wondering is the biostar mobo supports SATA II where the asus board is SATA I. whats the difference? will i be able to use the same drive in either protocal, or are their certain drives that work with SATA I and certain drives that work with SATA II?
3) as for videocard performance, would it be wise to go with the biostar mobo for now (geforce 6100 should be good enough for wc3 and games in that league of graphics), then he can upgrade later on with pci-e capabilities, or should he go with the asus board and the budget geforce fx5500? im thinkin the 5500 will be a little better as its dedicated memory and so forth, but is it cost effective to get that now and just have him stick with that? im assuming thats even being outdated in this new day and age of video cards and it would be better for him to go with the biostar setup. also he saves some money atm. i dunno, im kinda torn between options.

thats pretty much it. any suggestions or comments or answers would be fantastic !! thanks to everyone who reads this and hello one more time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom