PCi - AGP - i guess times changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Flow

Solid State Member
hayo.

aight so its been ages since i cared about computers, and for that reason i think mine needs an upgrade of small sort. Ive checked out websites and so on, and it seems to me that PCI is now the new thing (AGP seems dead and old?)

PCi is obviously the way to take things now, so im wondering. is it hard to use in anyway. do drivers run and install the same, dose the card itself install the same. is there anything that a person needs to adjust to that is dramatic ?

"thank you in advance"

You are talking about GPU slots obviously, so you seem to have gotten confused. The AGP graphics slot was the upgrade from PCI for GPUs. PCI-E (which is PCI-Express) is the newest, most advanced graphics slot.

In order to use a PCI-E GPU, you will need a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot on it. These are extremely common, and one I would recommend is the MSI K8N Neo4-F http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491 .

Note that is a slot 939, which is for AMD 64 processors. If you have an Intel processor, take a look at Newegg for a motherboard for it.

You should definetly go for a PCI-E motherboard and GPU if you can. It installs basically the same (however newer GPUs require a connection from the card to the PSU) and drivers run and install the same.

does anyone know how long it will be until they cut AGP off completely, also heard of GPU's on chips that have pins like CPU, is that the next new interface?

hey. thanks for reply.

shits abit clear'r now.

how ever. MSI ? ive been a few small bad things about all products from MSI. This board run well yer ?

If you do a search for "MSI K8N Neo4-F" (maybe take out K8N) on this forum, it'll answer your question :).

filocardhustler said:
does anyone know how long it will be until they cut AGP off completely, also heard of GPU's on chips that have pins like CPU, is that the next new interface?
I'd say the next generation of video cards will be PCI-E only

what's your current hardware, Danny?

current:

cpu - amd 2400+
mobo - asus a7n8x-x
ram - 256 DDR
video - ATi 9600 xt Xtreme
psu - Thermaltake 480wtt

the only thing worth keeping is my thermaltake. apart from that everything is either way out of date or **** like the ATi card. im a huge hater of ATi, thats why im going back to Nvidia with new mobo.

around 1k - 1.5k

i already have this in mind basicly.

amd 64 3500+
DFI Lanparty nF4 SLi-DR
1x PCI-E 6600 (anything 6600 that is good for its money, maybe you can help there)
1gb kingmax ram ($150 deal so ima take it over a $300 deal with cosair)

PSU stays the same and case is what ever i enjoy at the time of buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom