newb question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to a friend of mine and he said if you change any major parts your windows xp won't work there is a thing in there to where it recognizes the hardware like the mobo and cpu and such the main things and when there is new ones it wont work. It was supposibly set up this way to keep large corporation safe from people steeling the hardrives and dumbing the info on there home machine.

I haven't been able to test this out yet fully i did install xp on a hardrive then put that hdd in another computer and it would just lock up and not go anywhere so i had to reinstall it with the hardrives original pc. It woul'd only go to the black screen you get when hitting f8. you know the one i'm talking about.

It will work, but I would advise against it. Especially when changing out a major part like the motherboard I would (personally) always do a format and clean install of windows after installing the motherboard.

You could swap out CPUs and be fine, you could even upgrade your video card as long as you went from nvidia to another nvidia.

Scottyy - your friend is pretty much incorrect. The system will work as I've done it before when I was lazy in the past. However the chances of you having weird issues with the computer or driver conflicts would definitely be increased. There is nothing in XP though that 'recognizes' the parts and then when 'sensing' something else decides not to work.

I was talking to a friend of mine and he said if you change any major parts your windows xp won't work there is a thing in there to where it recognizes the hardware like the mobo and cpu and such the main things and when there is new ones it wont work. It was supposibly set up this way to keep large corporation safe from people steeling the hardrives and dumbing the info on there home machine.

As said by Nubius, he is incorrect... to a point. On older systems there was a key lock between the restoration CD and the HDD chipset/BIOS. This was NOT the original XP cd, but a manu CD like Gateway. I don't think they lock it down anymore, but at one time they did. If the hardware ID did not match what the security ID on the drive had, then install was a no go and you would get the error: This is not a Gateway machine.

ok thanks for clearing that up and it ways an older dell that i had done that too so that may have been way.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom