dualcore vs dual processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
AMD K8 multisocket configurations communicate between processors using multiple hypertransport links...I believe Opterons support four simulteanous HTT links operating at once but don't quote me on that

Although the HTT link offers a high bandwidth and low latency solution and will therefore be fast when operating in multisocket enviroments, a multicore CPU will actually communicate between the cores at the effective speed of the cores themselves...with much lower latency and as a result much greater bandwidth than a multisocket would

Basically multisocket processors each have their own seperate memory controller that has to be in communication with the other controllers, whereas multicores have one unified controller coordinating all of the cores and thus saving the time it takes to send data down a system bus

Should also note that the 4400+ does not "split" the 2.2GHz operating frequency, it splits the a 4.4Ghz clock speed and each core operates individually at 2.2GHz therefore a dual core processor operating at the same frequency as two procesors in a dual processor configuration should have about the same IPC rate
so gaara i guess i should go with dualcore but should i stick with 4400+ or should i go with opteron dual core

if you haev the money to go with a 4400+ go with it, but if you were planning on getting an X2 4200+ or 3800+ defintely get an opteron as they have the total of 2MB cache just like the 4400+ but at a much lower price

PZEROFGH said:
if you haev the money to go with a 4400+ go with it, but if you were planning on getting an X2 4200+ or 3800+ defintely get an opteron as they have the total of 2MB cache just like the 4400+ but at a much lower price
will i have the mony for the 4400 but i was told that opteron are better for overclocking(although iam not sure if iam going to overclock)
so i kind looked at neweeg and found some dual core opteron for the same price(almost)
AMD Opteron 175 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
or
AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
or
AMD x2 4400+
i think the 170 Operating Frequency is 2gig but the 4400 and the 175 2.2 with the same l2 cache

whats the difference between opteron and x2 anyways, how come AMD made two kindas of dual core, is one better for gaming and other for applciations or somin? if so, which one is for gaming, x2 or opteron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom