HP Athlon Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
Been shopping around for a laptop for my mom. She's looking to spend $800 or so, and just wants a basic, reliable system. In that range, I've only seen the celerons, which are nothing fantastic . They may be reliable, but I think the slow performance will frustrate her after a while. Then comes along the HP Athlon laptops. Best Buy has the HP Athlon XP-M 2500+ for $699.

TO MY QUESTION... I've heard that AMD's are good, but run hot. Is this true with the laptop processors (the XP-M's) or have they tweaked them to run a little cooloer, like the Pentium M's? Anyone know why this is so cheap (other than rebates)? It's loaded - 40 GB, Combo drive, mobile radeon, 256 ram... Any major flaws with the XP-M's? They've been on sale quite a bit lately.

I'm about to get it for her, but don't want to give her something she'll have all sorts of problems with.

Thanks for reading through!

my friend just bought a sony vaio with an pentium M chip @ 900Mhz processor speed, i assume their so cheap because thier 1/3 of the current desktop processor speed.

My fiance has a laptop with a pentium m... runs fine. i'm wodering about the athlon xp-m, since the amd's tend to run hot

a pentium M 900 is a very nice notebook don't let the 900Mhz fool you it's CPU frequency is equal to a P4 much beyond that.

i would rather get a amd-m than a celeron notebook any day. if you can though, try to find some P4-m deals. i have heard amd-m aren't as good as P4-m, but they are not that bad.

and they do not usually heat up much more than a P4-m. try touching the bottom of a display model in that store. that XP-M 2500+ for $699 deal sounds good to me.

You are looking at a HP/COMPAQ NX 9005 Series, correct?

I have sold plenty of them. I have not had one come back.

I say GO FOR IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom