Why is everyone saying SLI sucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
beedubaya said:
Right now, SLI is just a toy for the rich, and also Nvidia and mobo manufacturers to force people to needlessly upgrade their entire systems. However, future games such as games based on Unreal Engine 3 will DEMAND SLI. Right now, its just for the rich, but there will be a time when if you don't have SLI, you will basically be the same as having integrated graphics.

word!

Nvidia kind of needs to get off it's high Horse...

They've been rather monopolyous as of late..

I'm still Ticked about how they've been sweeping the problems with their hardware under the rug rather than fixing and continueing to insist on buying the incompatible hardware.

don't get me wrong.. They make a **** good viceo card.. ANd i'll take nvidia over ATI anyday but their atitude has been rather nazi-ish as of late.

beedubaya said:
future games such as games based on Unreal Engine 3 will DEMAND SLI.

Pretty bold and narrow statement. What percentage of gamers are using SLI? Are they trying to sell to the smallest market? What about Crossfire? Dual GPU is more likely than dual cards to take off into the mainstream, IMO.

Considering the minimum requirements for high settings in UT2007 is 2 6800 Ultras in SLI and the recommended requirement is 2 7800GTXs in SLI, it will become more mainstream. As I said, right now its only for the rich. Give it a year, and it will be completely mainstream. SLI has given game developers the ambition to push graphical limits farther than ever attempted before because the hardware is now available.

beedubaya said:
Considering the minimum requirements for high settings in UT2007 is 2 6800 Ultras in SLI and the recommended requirement is 2 7800GTXs in SLI, it will become more mainstream. As I said, right now its only for the rich. Give it a year, and it will be completely mainstream. SLI has given game developers the ambition to push graphical limits farther than ever attempted before because the hardware is now available.

I completely understand your point. There's also this, a year from now videocard technology will have progressed pretty far. I would bet the latest cards out now will be doubled in power by the best cards when that game comes out. With 90nm we've already seen some pretty amazing things. I'm only talking the highest end cards here though, that leaves out a pretty good chuck of people just like SLI/Crossfire.

Sometimes, boys, the consumer actually directs the flow of products. When SLI doesn't sell as hot as they'd wished, they will be steering away from it. The only reason UT3007 suggests 2 7800gtx's is because that is what will make the game look as good as it can. New cards will come out and won't require 2 of the best cards anymore... Sometimes guys, you gotta snap out of what the companies FEEL like they want to do, and realize that the consumer has a stronger influence than you think.

I thought I settled this thread in my first post....

Ryan

I've posted this a few times lately.

SLI & CROSSFIRE would be absolutely needed with a Apple Cinema 30" LCD monitor, to run highest settings and resolutions. Who the hell is going to buy that monitor? I could but there's no way i'll spend $2500 on a monitor.

SLI & CROSSFIRE would be absolutely needed with a (3) 20" monitor set-up for Advance flight simulators. I can't fly airplanes in BF2, let alone an AFS.

UNREAL2k7 might... I said might need SLI or CROSSFIRE. If that is the case, i'll go crossfire. May-be

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
Sometimes, boys, the consumer actually directs the flow of products. When SLI doesn't sell as hot as they'd wished, they will be steering away from it. The only reason UT3007 suggests 2 7800gtx's is because that is what will make the game look as good as it can. New cards will come out and won't require 2 of the best cards anymore... Sometimes guys, you gotta snap out of what the companies FEEL like they want to do, and realize that the consumer has a stronger influence than you think.

I thought I settled this thread in my first post....

Ryan

Thanks, that's what i'm saying, for the most part. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom