boot sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
I've read many pages and information and have gotten most of my answers... but one... and I apologize if I'm asking an already posted question. I understand that when installing a new OS on a brand new built computer, you must set the boot sequence to;

1) Floppy (obvious)
2) CD-ROM
3) Hard Drive

This enables the CD-ROM to read the CD first instead of trying to load an empty hard drive. My first question is;

- Do I need to set the boot sequence BACK to

1) Floppy (obvious)
2) Hard Drive
3) CD-ROM?
after I install the OS?

I have a computer that I'm using now where I visited my BIOS recently and saw that my boot sequence was in the following order;

1) Floppy (obvious)
2) CD-ROM
3) Hard Drive
4) Network

It was obviously like that for a long time since I haden't been in my BIOS or changed anything in my BIOS for quite some time however I changed the CD-ROM and Hard Drive order around upon realizing this. Nothing changed upon boot up so I assume this order doesnt effect much?

It's preference...you don't need to change your boot sequence at all, if you have an option along the lines of "Press F8 to boot from other device..."--could be a different key/worded different, or may not have it.

But...just think logically. If you have a floppy/CD-rom before the HDD, it will take a second or two longer for the computer to check if there's a diskette/CD, and if there is, to scan it for a boot image.

Personally, I have my HDD as first boot device...and disable the rest. It's just all preference. If you plan on using boot-diskettes, or need it to use LILO, you'd want it before the HDD.

Err...so yeah, unless you plan on using a diskette or CD, just put the HDD first and if you ever need to use a diskette or CD, just go back in and put that as the first boot device...is my opinion...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom