First time builder - Having a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemosh

Beta member
Recently I bought a brand new Mobo/CPU/RAM/HD etc.. and am having problems getting it to boot properly and/or not lock up.

Mobo = ASROCK P4V88
CPU = Intel P4 3.0 Prescott
RAM = PC3200 1 MB
HD = WD 80 Gig 8 MB Cache
Video = Radeon 9800 SE

I put the computer together last night without much trouble. After I checked everything over a few times, I attempted the first boot. It ended up booting but locked up after a few minutes while in bios. I could not turn off my computer using the power button so I had to turn it off using the I/O switch on the back. The next time I tried to boot it would not give me and video at all. If I wait a few minutes it will allow me back into bios, but again eventually I will lock up. Oddly, if I do have to use the I/O to turn off the computer, it usually will not boot at all, but if I wait a few minutes I will get video.

The farthest I've gotten was to install windows, but then when I got to the "Starting windows for the first time" screen, the computer locked again and I haven't been able to boot windows since.

I did some testing and took off everything, and got 3 long beeps that repeated each other.

Then I added my ram and it gave 5-6 short beeps (note that I can use the power button to turn off the computer with just the ram installed.)

When I install the AGP card, the computer will hang on bootup (no post or bios select).

Could it possibly be a setting in bios that screwing things up? When I got into bios the first time, it said the main video was coming from PCI not AGP, when my video card is AGP. Note that I've tried flashing bios and it didn't work (not the flash part but fixing boot).

Also note that everything on the computer is compatible with each other, PSU, CPU, MOBO, RAM, HD, etc is all fine to work with each other, and the core temp on the CPU is about 45 degrees max so it's not a heat issue. I also have both the ATX Connection and the ATX 12V Connection both connected.

Any help in this matter (Hopefully someone that has had a similar problem with this board) is appricated, thanks!!

RAM = PC3200 1 MB
thats your problem!!! LOL

uh i think u did something to make the bios mad!!!
lol

Try to flash your Bios...

also make sure all plugs are in cards/chip set correctly and try onboard video (iff you have)

~Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom