WIn XP reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
My computer has been getting really sluggish lately and I was thinking of reinstalling windows. Will that probably speed up my computer somewhat? It seems to take awhile now to boot and to shut down. Also, I have 2 internal hard drives, will reinstalling windows on the master have any effect to the files on the slave?

Is it a good idea to reinstall?

You will see a significant increase in speed when you wipe your system out. Install XP on your master and whatever you have on your slave drive will be safe.

Sounds like a plan then. Anyone have a list of things/settings/programs/files that I should be sure I have another copy of so that I can reload them on my computer once I reinstall windows? I just want to be sure I don't forget anything. Here is what I know:

IE bookmarks
music and movie files
downloaded programs (AIM, Adaware, Spybot, etc)

When I actually do start reinstalling, I just insert the Windows CD and have the computer boot from the disc, right? Then I think it will prompt me as to what I want to do. Is that correct?

Also, what about my Mcafee virus scan program which i have a paid subscription for until november. will that still work after i reinstall? it came with the computer when i bought it.

Also, anyone know any good programs to transfer a bunch of songs from an ipod to a different computer? I mean songs that were transferred to the ipod with itunes so that they can be listened to, not transferred with windows explorer, using the ipod as an external hard drive.

folder view. click show hidden files folder. now you can see the music folder in your ipod. you can drag and drop them back to a computer. it organization is sloppy though.

I personally use anapod explorer. it organizes your ipod tunes for a windows interface (way better organization). but it cost $25.00

you antivirus should be fine if they have your email and password or if you have a serial

you can also use windows data setting tranfer wizard. reinstall the apps bfore you restore the settings

well make sure that you format the drive to completely erase it. If all you do is install windows everything else will stay the same so it wont fix anything, you have to actually erase the drive and then install windows. Unless thats what you ment by 'reinstalling windows.'

XP Pro Slipstreamed SP2
Windows Updates
Drivers
Programs
: Nero Enterprise 6.0.16
Ad-Aware Se 1.6 Professional
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 RC-1
XoftSpy
Webroot Spy Cleaner
Hijack This! 1.99
CCleaner
Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5