failing memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Alright, so i've got this computer. It has 1.0ghz AMD athlon with around 460mb RAM, XP Pro. (I thought it had a gig of RAM tho... which leads me to my question).

This is my moms business computer, so I dont work with it much... only for upgrades. Recently, we both bought a DVD burner (Sony DRU-720a). Works PERFECTLY on my system (specs in sig). She also upgraded video cards from an old ATI all in wonder 8mb (yea..it was nuts) to an FX-5500 256mb. That is the only internal hardware change in the past year or so. Now, tonight she was trying to copy a DVD. (since putting in the new drive, she hasn't tested burning a dvd yet, so this was the first dvd burn). The software used was Nero 6. The image file copied successfully and she put in a blank DVD+R into the drive. The lead-in burned then the computer shutdown.

We tried again, and we got a BSOD saying Bad_Pool_Header. It stopped a certain address of memory and it warned of hardware changes/driver problems. It started a mem dump, but i restarted. We tried another time and during the image copy, we got an even more detailed BSOD explaining hardware/driver issues and again the memory address and then a phys mem dump (which never completes). I restarted and Disk check came up and brought no problems. Windows booted up and got a Send Error Report dialog which said that the computer experiened a extremely serious problem in bold letters. I get these all the time, but they never say extremely serious problem.

I tested burning a CD and it worked perfect. No problem whatsoever. She seems to think it may be the drive, but i'm leaning more towards memory issues. Whats going on here? This is the first time i have ever encountered this kind of BSOD with XP, so i'm not very familiar with it.

anyone got any ideas? Just for poops and giggles, i'm gonna switch her drive with mine (same drive). Since my system works without a hitch, I'm going to install hers in my system and test a DVD burn. I really dont think its an issue with the drive though.

TIA! :mad:

run memtest86 for a night (at least 16 hours) and if it comes out clean, you can probably eliminate memory as your problem.

Yeah, was gonna suggest the power supply as well, if you could open up your case and copy the numbers written on the label on the PSU.

Memtest is also a given, you may also wanna increase your page file size

thx guys, but after a long discussion, I talked her into buying new mobo/processor/ram. So, we'll see how it goes after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom