Intellipoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majj

Solid State Member
In setting up my new computer, I am having trouble "downgrading" my mouse software. From previous experience, I know that Intellipoint 5.0 is the only version that allows use of the wheel in my preferred version of WordPerfect (7). In the past, on other computers, I have simply downloaded 5.0 and installed it. On this new computer, I can download it but am not allowed to install it, getting the message that there is a new version running, with no option to replace. I don't want to go and unstall the wrong thing and be completely mouseless! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Majj

Just backup your current driver, uninstall it, reboot, Windows will use a generic driver, then install the one you want.

Thanks!

That makes sense...only one little bitty more thing....can you remind me how to back up the driver??

Really, thanks so much. I stayed up all night setting the new computer up so I could use it to work today and my brain is just fried!

You can go into your device manager, right click on the device and go to properties, click drivers, then details. That will give you the location of your driver, you can manually go and back it up onto a disk.

There are also plenty of free 3rd party tools that will also backup your drivers for you. Just google "backup device drivers" and you'll find tons of them.

Just make sure you uninstall the old one and reinstall the new one. Sometimes just doing an update won't work. Good luck, let us know!

No luck yet

I know from past computer transfers that this indeed works, but for the life of me I cannot delete the old drivers, and, of course, it won't install the new drivers/software until the old ones are gone. Each time I try, the hardware is detected and the new drivers automatically install. What in the world am I doing wrong??

That's strange, your mouse comes with special drivers, but you should still be able to get rid of them, and Windows should use a generic driver until you load your new ones.

So the special drivers keep autoloading even after you uninstall them?

I had that problem when trying to install generic drivers for my sound card in Vista. I ran the uninstall then ran driver cleaner, also i did a search for the drivers so i could manually delete them, and then i installed the genereic drivers. So my suggestion would be to try and run DriverCleaner after you uninstall your drivers from your device manager.

Well, I finally just decided to heck with it and borrowed a coworkers WP8. Luckily, my many years of macros and preferences transferred right over AND I know have use of my wheel. Who would have believed that one little mouse could cause such trouble.

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom