Heatsink installation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssadmin

Baseband Member
Hi,
I recently purchase the Coolermaster X-Dream III for socket 478 (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...rial=ICC-L81&other_title=+ICC-L81+X Dream III) and I'm not sure how to install it. First of all, with the thermal paste that is included, do I spread it across the whole CPU (Celeron -D), or some part of the CPU, or the copper part on the heatsink base, or both? Although I am pretty sure how to install this onto my motherboard, any tips from those of you who have installed this heatsink (or others who have installed similar ones) would be greatly appreciated. I hear that it is really easy to install, but this is my first time so I really don't want to mess up.
The weight of this heatsink is so heavy...I wonder if the motherboard can support all that weight...

Thanks for your posts!

spread evenly and sparingly over the cpu itself before putting in on the mobo. Ive seen people use a razor box cutter like blade to apply it. As long as the clamps keep the hs down to the mobo tightly and the mobo is secured to case your ok.

Thanks for the post.
So you mean put the thermal paste on the WHOLE top of the CPU before placing the heatsink on? Do I put some on the heatsink also?

Thanks

You put a blob of thermal compound ontop of the CPU core (marked with very small black markings, you will recognise it) The blob should be about the size of a grain of rice. Remember it is only there to fill in the gaps inbetween the CPU and Heatsink, so you don't want the compound to be transfering the heat. Once there is a blob on top of the CPU, then put the heatsink on, and let that spread it out evenly.

If you are going to take off your old heatsink, and it has a thermalpad. Run your system for a while with a high demand application, like a game. Let the CPU get nice and hot. after a few minutes, shutdown quickly, then take off the heatsink. If you don't do this, you may risk takeing the CPU out along with the heatsink, and you could bend a pin if you don't pull the heatsink off verticly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom