upgrading my cpu soon. or should i not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i guess i could spend around 150$ on a athlon 64 3000 venice core socket 939. and get a socket 939 motherboard. but what would be the point?it would be 1.8 ghz just like mine and 512kb cache just like mine. now tell me what would i be getting out of this 64 3000? a thinner wallet . ohh yea and i would be able to say my cpu supports 64 bit even tho when 64 bit gaming is in it wouldnt run games in that time good on 64 bit. so tell me what the point in going 64 bit?

You do realize that a 3000+ Venice is faster than your 2500+, right? It might say the same operating frequency, but the FSB is higher as well as the multiplier.

You also have to look at the front side bus and the multiplier to give you the final speed. If you aren't satisfied with the "1.8 ghz label", then you can always throw up the FSB. That is considered overclocking and you won't get much with the stock heatsink.

im running a nice mobo its a asus a7v400-mx i paid 56$ for it at tiger direct a couple months i just recently built this pc it supports 400mhz fsb which is a plus. but it doesnt support dualchannel or pc3200 memory and its only got 2 memory slots so either way im gonna sell it and get another socket a motherboard

To be honest, I don't see too much potential in that motherboard. I would save up to buy a new motherboard and a new CPU as well. You won't be able to get near top performance on it.

If you feel urget to get a new CPU, then perhaps follow one of the links that Trotter posted.

I do not think that would be the best decision though. A new 939 motherboard and an amd 64, perhaps a 3200+ Venice would be much quicker. That wouldn't be the cheapest solution however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom