HELP P4 3.0 GHZ (800) MHZ w/HT COOLING

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowticket

Baseband Member
Just upgraded to this new P4 3.0 GHZ (800) MHZ w/HT
My question is this, what is a good temperature for it to run at? Right now we are running at 68 or 69*C I have always been an AMD person and I switched over and I am getting mixed responses on what temperature. The heatsink is garbage, if just trying to get an idea of what I need to get if there is a problem.

hm. 69 is in the upper part of the scale but still not extreme. id say that you should get a new heatzink, and a good thermal paste. my cpu is running at 45C. what heatzink are you useing?

69 degrees is VERY hot. Check and reseat your heat sink. Go easy with the thermal paste as too much defeats the purpose and traps the heat inside your CPU instead of helping eliminate it.
Also, check if your CPU fan is running. P4's shouldn't run this high even with stock cooling fan and rad.

69 wut is the cpu on boy a burn sink. Normal temps are from 30-55 if you hit 60 keep an eye on it. Any higher you are in serious heat. Look at the back of the cpu as to see if it is not burned already. If not ur a lucky guy

Applyied the cooling paste now, and reseated the heat sink its down to 55*C, is this ok or do I need I still need a new heatsink?

You're ok now but keep an eye on your temp after a game session and such and make sure it doesn't go that high again.
You were lucky you didn't fry your CPU like microbell said.

cowticket said:
Applyied the cooling paste now, and reseated the heat sink its down to 55*C, is this ok or do I need I still need a new heatsink?
anything under 60 is ok 55 is pretty nice but even lower would be better

ive got the same cpu as you and its running at 33.3*C i've got 4 fan running and its 27*C in my room

Hi all,
I am new to the board; just found this forum on google.

My question is this: My 3.0 just started reaching the 60C zone and only during gameplay or when I have a game minimized, any ideas on why this would happen all of a sudden?

I built this system in Oct. and so far I have had no heat issiues with it. It idles at 33 - 34 C and before it rarely went over 50C at load, then 3 days ago my alarm started going off(I have it set to go off at 60C). As far as I can tell, it doen't go much over 60C and only does it when I play americas army. I have gotten a couple of no lable desktop crashes while playing this game as well where it says I have run out of virtual memory. Could it be a software issue with this game that is causing the processor to heat up? I have done a memstat while playing the game and it says that I am using 78% of my pagefile in game. This sounds hi to me so I am thinking the software could possibly be causing a memory leak but would this effect the cpu temp? My memory checked out fine with memtest86.

Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, I should probably mention that my case is a soho server with 5 internal 80mm fans and a dual fan 500 watt psu, ambient temp is 25C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom