SATA or ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get one of those SATA Raptor 10,000RPM drives. Now those really fly. Down to the 7200RPM level, it doesn't make near as much of a difference, and both are fast especially if you get an 8MB or greater buffer and are used to the 5400RPM drives that come in manufactured PCs.

The SATA II is 33 Percent more expensive then the IDE drive you listed. Not comparable. But I suppose this comes to the point where opinion kicks in, so lets not argue that.

A P3 beats a comparable P4 because Intel goofed. The traded off effiecieny in the newer CPU for the ability to go to higher speeds. Kinda ike how many 4 cyclinder cars have extremely good gas milage, but they hit a speed wall very fast (This is not true all the time, but bear with me here). Its kinda like why a 2 GHz AMD can compete with a 3 GHz Pentium 4.

And even though I dont think the prices are comparable in the drives, I say bust out the extra money for a SATA II hard drive. Come on, its 25 bucks... thats a days worth of food. You can go without food for a day, CAN'T YOU?

*not sarcastic*

Redcoat said:
If you are comparing a SATA 7200rpm with an IDE 7200rpm there is no difference (noticibly speed wise) other than the method in which the information is sent/received. However, with narrower cables that the SATA drives use, there is less restricted air flow within your case which will help with heat issues.

I don't quite agree with the first. SATA got a dedicated channel (bus) for data transfer compare to IDE that share the bus with other devices.

Exactly. The best IDE might run at 90 (PATA 133 my kapusta!!) and the SATA @ 150. HMMMMMMM.....that's worth the 25 bucks!!!!!!! Word!!!!!

One more comment: I just bought a WD 2500JD for $75 on Ebay and I've seen other 250 gig SATA's for nearly the same price there. It was new and OEM........:) Just get the SATA and you'll be glad you did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom