XP pauses loading with black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

semmelbroesel

Beta member
Hi,

a computer I am trying to fix appears to be clean of viruses and spyware, and SFC didn't find anything bad.

When I start the PC, POST will go through and Windows will try to start and then stop with a black screen. The HD will go rattling for a few more seconds and then go on and off for a few more seconds, then stop. 2 Minutes later, Windows starts normally.

When I start in Safe Mode, it will load all drivers (last one is 440agp.sys or similar), and again stop for 2 minutes.

It is not directly a network problem - it happens with the network cable unplugged. But I did briefly have an Error 12 or 10 with the network card (which was fixed by reinstalling the drivers and didn't show up a second time). So it could be a broken network card, but probably not a network communication problem. But I have never seen this problem because of a broken NIC.

Another interesting thing is that the PC usually runs 24/7, and it was running when I first had a look at it. It had been running fine without a problem, and I only wanted to look up something for the PC that I had actually been working on, and then I found that the windows logon screen (NT style) was on, and I could click the buttons (they could be pressed), but nothing happened. I had to use the power button to turn it off, and I have had the above problem since.

Any thoughts, anything I can try?

Thanks!

i guess since your comp was running 24/7, you may have received major spyware or viruses. I'd just reformat (if you have your O.S. cd) and start fresh. Or maybe play around with the BIOS.

I had the problem with a USB keyboard installed. I was having trouble finding the keyboad and was waiting until it initialise for some stupid reason. Actually the solution was to move it to a different USB slot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom