Everyone, Fan Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiboi

Daemon Poster
This is copy and pasted, so don't thank me or anything about this. I thought this could be some useful info.

Cooling Advice

Common things that consumers do not realize about cooling that creates problems.

For more information on computer cooling and fan noise, please check out the articles at www.atruereview.com

Lots of fans but my case is not cooler:
Many times we hear customers telling us how they just put in their 20th fan but their case is not any cooler. You need to move air "into" and "out of" your case with a uniform flow. You must design for a proper flow of air, do not just see how much air you can push. Cables interfere with flow as do fans that push air against each other. Ideally we recommend two fans: a fan at one end of the case pushing air and one at the other end pulling air out of the case. You may also like to add a fan at the top of your case, commonly known as a "Blow Hole." This fan will help because it draws warm air, that rises, out of the case.

Great air flow but my case is still hot:
You are moving air at room temperature into your case. A fan blowing on a person feels cooler because the person has perspiration, which cools the skin. A processor does not have this cooling mechanism (normally). Thus, a 100 percent efficient system would cool to room temperature; unfortunately, nothing is 100 percent. To ensure a cooler case, cool your room. We recommend 72F and lower.

How loud are Delta or High Speed Fans:
These fans are indeed loud. The price you pay for moving large volumes of air. A bigger fan with lower RPM will be quieter and can move the same amount of air. For example, a 92mm fan that moves 48CFM is 33DB while an 80mm fan that moves 50CFM is 40DB. We have had customers return Deltas because of their noise. Please make sure you can stand the noise. A Delta 46DB fan can be heard from 10ft away.

Do I need thermal paste:
Use this no exceptions. Not using thermal paste will cause damage to your processor in as little as four seconds. Thermal paste replaces air that builds up between your heatsink and processor. This air holds heat to the processor and does not let the heat transfer to the heatsink. Arctic Silver is our choice, it transfers heat 200% more efficiently and does not dry out as fast as the normal thermal paste.

Round cables, are they just for looks:
These cables will drop your case temperature because they increase airflow. Ribbon cables tend to block the air movent in your case, which does not allow the hot air to exit. Another positive is they look cool.

High RPM ATX Fans Plugged Into Motherboards:
Try to avoid this. High speed RPM fans, those over 5000RPM, could blow your motherboard. Customers have told us of this and we have read in overclocker forums of these cases. Most fans now come with the ATX to AT adapters; if they do not, we recommend you buy one.

After a few months my case and CPU temperature is rising:
Dust is a major problem in the computer industry. Dust will clog air holes; thus, cutting down the airflow of your fans. Heatsinks of today normally involve thin fins or thin spaced grooves in the metal. These grooves can become clogged with dust and restrict your airflow. A good idea is to clean out the dust within your case every 2 or 3 months depending on where you live.

A curved fin heatsink is better than a straight mini-fin heatsink.
Don't fall into the myth that a high speed Delta is all you need to gain cooling performance. As a fan pushes air onto a heatsink, the air molecules deflect. If a fin is straight up the air molecules create a circular vortex which will prevent other air molecules from flowing between the fins. A curved fin decreases this vortex allowing more air to flow amongst the fins.

Can I use a case fan on a CPU heatsink?
A fan is a fan is a fan. All computer fans run on a 12 volt line. RPM speed, CFM, noise and quaility of construction is where fans differ. Use a decent CFM fan for your CPU heatsink, no Panaflos or 60mm stealths for they don't move enough air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom