Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonPorkchop

Daemon Poster
i wanted to know if there is a big performance gain between raid 0 and a raptor? also what levels of raid are there?

Well, ive heard RAID 0 gives helps a tad with performance, and as for lvls i believe there is 0, 1, and 0+1. dont know much about the lvls, but i hope some1 that knows will help ya out with that.

i know about 0 and 1 but i heard someone talking about lvl 5. also i wanted to know how much of a performance difference there is between 2 hds in a raid 0 array or a raptor

i think if u have 2 7200 drives in raid 0 its about as fast as a 1 raptor.

raid 1 is mirroring. ie uses 2 identical drives and writes the same thing on both so if one disk fails ur still gonna have all ur data

raid 0 is striping so it reads and writes to both disks, u still get all ur space but it puts it as one drive, this is faster than a single disk

raid 0+1 is a mix, so ur gonna have 4 identical drives min to get this setup, fast and reliable but expensive.

Ur sig says ur comp? ive never seen a dual 939 mobo before?

There are a number of RAID arrays availible, however most motherboards will only support RAID 0, 1 and 0+1. Also, most other arrays are pretty expensive and are geared towards server use. Only recently have RAID arrays become popular in consumer use.

http://www.acnc.com/raid.html

Raid0 helps ALOT. It can get very fast. Raid0 is ideal for 10000rpm SATA HDD. Raid0 splits data in half, then sends half of everything to each HDD. So it loads 2 times as fast. If you have a serial sata 10000rpm HDD, then your loading times would decrease eminently! This is how i usually explain Raid.

Pretend you have to run a mile. Now pretend i CLONE 2 of you, and each one of you run ONLY half a mile. That means it only takes you to run a MILE, in the time it takes you to run a half mile. Thats how raid works.

Now Raid0 can always get faster. If you wanted extreme HDD speeds, then you can get 4 serial sata 10000rpm HDD. That means the work would be divided equally between all four drives. Witch the task from your HDD would get done at 4 times the original rate!

@ codine that is how it supposed to work but like running more than 1 cpu or running sli its not actually like that. I mean yes there is is nice speed boost when ur using raid. heck i wouldnt not use it now, but its not double the speed. maybes 1.5x max, imho.

i like the idea of havin 3 or 4 36gig raptors for my OS. hmm very sexy :p

I have a 10k raptor in one comp and 2 WD 80gb in RAID 0 in the other. The RAID 0 is faster than the raptor so I would go with that. My raptor costed me about $140 while the 2 WD 80gb hard drives cost $122. RAID is the way to go for HD space, price, and speed.

the thing also is, if your considering putting 2 raptors in RAID unless their 36gig raptors, DONT DO IT! unless youve just got the money to throw around. its been proven theres barely any gain and you waste alot of money that could have gone towards something else. i dont know why dale has a better performance with his RAID over his raptor. that doesn't make sense.

Perhaps not faster than the 74gb raptor but they are faster than my 37gb according to sandra. I think it's because the drives sharing the work gives you better performance than just an extra 3000 rpm. Your 74gb raptor has 2 magnetic disks in it and runs a good amount faster than my 37gb raptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom