Computer freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 60 C is shut down temperature, then I'm awfullly close to it, since it reads about 55-57 C.

But could this be an auto shutdown? When the system freezes CPU activity reads 100%, and then it unfreezes after a while. Wouldn't it stay frozen if the CPU was overheated?

Maybe it was a big mistake not getting a case fan, but the guy in the store said it was unnecessary. I know that AMD recommends it.

no spfd 60degrees celcius is not the default shutdown temp. the default would be closer to around 75-90C. in some CMOS the board lets you adjust the default shutdown temp.

MrData you have a point there. if winME is running stable than that would suggeest a software problem, but that software problem could be caused by hardware instability/ defect/ or failure.

did you take precaution to avoid static discharge while build your computer mrdata? you may have damaged you processor and that could be why it is locking up/ freezing.

if you try this you should know for sure if you problem is due to overheating. test by running winXP. if this fixes your problem you should get a new bigger case with support to install some case fans:

--------------------------------------------------------
shut down that machine, turn the main power switch in the back where the power supply is to OFF.
-----------------------------------
touch the case on a metal part and leave your hand on it while you work on the hardware.
---------------------------
unplug the power cord from the power supply. take off the heatsink and CPU. wipe off all the paste( don't use tissue, the fibers will rub off)
------------------------------------------------
reapply new paste and carefully put the heatsink/fan back on
-------------------------------------------
leave the side panels off and if possible use a house fan to direct some air onto the motherboard. use a medium or low setting . if you dont have a house fan skip it. by house fan i mean the 12inch diameter or more fans you get at say...walmart.
------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------
----------------------------------

Ok, now the problems are just getting worse. Yesterday my computer wouldn't even boot, not even from a boot floppy. It stops before it starts looking for a boot file, right after it has detected IDE units.

I tried resetting the CMOS, and it worked for a while, then it froze up before it started booting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom