My new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greencow_555

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I am an intermeidiate when it comes to these things and I am having trouble.

My older brother gave me his case and motherboard when he got a new computer but I can't get it working.

It worked when I first got it, to the degree it can work without any memory (something happened on screen). Which is my first question:

1. Its an 1800 so what type of ddr memory do I need? and can the wrong type damage the motherboard?

When I try to turn it on now, with or without hardware inside, it just keeps beeping and I see nothing on screen at all.

Does anytone know if I am Fudged or can this be solved?

Thanks in advance

Gaz

What chipset do you have on the motherboard?
Only a certain kind will work (fit in the sockets) and only certain size sticks will work.

Hi Greencow, Welcome!!!!!!

Im sure you will find all the help you need here, lots of
nice people that are very experienced PC builders.

But to really help you I think we will need to know some
specifics, for instance what motherboard are you using,
make and model would be helpful.

Im assuming the 1800 is an AMD Athlon XP 1800-yes-no?

To really avoid waiting too long for help, I would suggest
you use make and model of all the hardware you are
having troubles with that way those who help you wont
have to ask and can begin to help you solve the problem.

If you dont know where to find the info needed someone
will help you with that as well.

ok cool, where would I find out that information for the motherboard as I can't see any details on it? apart from this number: EP-8KMM3I.

Those details you gave do rign true though...

I have systematically taken everything off one by one until only the motherboard is left. When I plug it in and turn it on all I get is one long beep then a pause then the same over and over.

thanks for your help guys.

Gaz

I don't think you'll have to worry about buying DDR that doesn't work in your computer, regardless of what speed you buy it should just be downclocked to the FSB speed of the CPU.

I'm pretty sure you'd be looking for DDR133 though.

A beeping is POST error beep, it should be your BIOS telling you specifically what the error is. Check your motherboard manual for the beep codes for identifying the problem.

I'm guessing it's bad memory though.

How do I go about finding out what this vital piece is? How likely is it that I can fix this?

Thanks again

Gaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom