Help my cpu fan has stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

MESSIAH32

Solid State Member
Hi up untill 2 weeks ago i was happy with cpu temps being idle my cpu was 42c and case being 28c and after long gamming sessions cpu 47 to 48c and case 30c. I use motherboard monitor 5. My temps in the last 2 weeks however have been idle cpu 50c and case 28c and after gamming sessions cpu 54 to 56c and case 30c ialso noticed in the last two weeks my fan rpm have hit 5 figure numbers and from what ive heard thats not normal. Anyway on this tuesday just i booted up my pc and went on aol and kept my motherboard monitor dashboard up. I noticed my pc didnt seem as noisy as usual so i looked inside case and the cpu fan was running ok and then about 5 mins later my cpu had hit 54c and i looked at the dashboard and i then saw that my cpu fan rpm read 0 so i looked incase and the the cpu fan had stopped working so i shut down my pc straight away. I have started it up twice since and on both occasions the cpu fan has not worked.So what i need to know is:

A: Is this just a case of getting a new cpu fan as the rest of my pc and components are working ok or is there another problem that could be causing this that i dont know about?. Ive got a amd athlon xp2400+(2gig) with stock heatsink and fan.
B:Also if i cant find a fan on its own and have to get a new heatsink as well as a fan do i have to use fermal heat greese or compound dont know what is called or can i just put the heatsink and fan on with out it as my monthley mag pc gammer done a article on build your own pc for 500pound and a step by step guide on how to build it and they put in the cpu and just plugged the heatsink onto the cpu they never mentioned about putting on fermal compound.

Can some one please help as im using my mothers really ancient pc for the net at the moment paul

I would suggest that you look for an aftermarket hsf, like the thermaltake silent boost, with some silver compound. Where is the fan plugged into? Is it plugged into the mobo or a molex connector? You might want to try to switch where you have it connected and see if it runs. If not than go for the new hsf and compound.

Are you ocing the cpu at all? With the stock hsf it will run warm.

ive posted reply in new thread about its about 3 questions down from this one cheers who are you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom