build-a-box ?

Something to consider would be to apply a wood veneer over a steel case, That would take care of your grounding and heat issues. Finding a strong enough glue to hold the veneer to the steel/plastic parts of the case might be a challenge but you can still sand it up and put a nice stain on it. Veneer can be cut with a good razor blade for tracing out around the fan vents. Of course if you get a case with a black mesh in the front for the intake fans, I'd leave that part on and apply the veneer around it

i thought about the veneer over steel. it just sounds like a problem waiting for a time to happen. wood will have some challenges as well though. but i am going to build from scratch. i will use metal brackets to hold the hard drives and dvd / blu ray burners however. trying to make wood mounts would just add a bunch of wasted space. i will rob them from an old case, and screw them into the wood cabinet.

so i finally got back around to this project, only figure out it is going to cost way to much to do it the way i wanted. i wanted to do a butcher block style of case with the layers of wood laying horizontally. my initial plan was to buy relatively inexpensive wood, and stain it 3 colors, and stack them using wood dowels to keep them aligned and give strength. what my father in law said ruined that plan. after the case is built, i will have to sand it to make it completely smooth. which will remove the stain from the wood. and i sure can not stain each row after it is glued together and sanded smooth. so i looked into 3 different hardwoods. i can build a decent non gaming computer for less money than just the wood will cost. :(:( and i am NOT going to go thru all that work to make an ugly case. so i guess i am going to buy a case. at this point, its between the Corsair Carbide Air 540, or the Cooler Master HAF XB EVO. not that i NEED all that airflow, but i am just tired of everything being crammed into a micro atx case. i need BIG. i guess the "up side" is that i can reassemble the old HP a1720n back in its original configuration. i would just have to figure out why i would want to.

Back
Top Bottom