Standby wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnionMan

Solid State Member
I put in a new motherboard and a new powersupply. Now the system wont standby. Arrrrg! The monitor turns of but the fans stay on. Usually everything comes back on right away. I tried reformatting the hard drive to no avial.

Motherboard Gigabyte 865PE GT
Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 (maybe it was SP1 before when standby did work)
ADSL modem, no LAN or anything like that

Im taking a stab in the dark here and guessing a driver is messing up my standby because I did install a bunch of new drivers when i reinstalled windows. I want to try uninstalling some drivers i dont know if ill mess up my system doing that. Which drivers should i try? Or am i on the wrong track here? ANy ideas are apreciated. Cheers.

Did you go into BIOS and make sure the system was setup for standby? Did you also check in the OS to make sure standby was setup? Does your mobo support standby?

Standby from the power button is controled purely by the BIOS and mobo. Standby from idle-timeout (Windows power-save) is handled by the OS. Reformatting your drive was almost certainly a waste of your time. You should have posted to us the problem first, before going through all that.

I agree with Shoobie, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the part about you installing a new MOBO was that the MOBO does not support standby.

Thanks for replying guys. Problem solved!

Here's what I did if anyone is interested.

I had played with the settings in BIOS Power Mangament before with no luck. This time i changed ACPI Suspend Type from S1 or S3 (in BIOS PMngnt).

That worked, almost. I could finally get into stangby, but not out... so I had to enable the Power On By Mouse thing in BIOS. Now it works.

Now ive heard about lots of problems about idle-time out standby working after 45 minutes winXP like you mentioned ShoobieRat. So cross your fingers for me that that feature works. But even if it doesnt im still happy that manual standby works now.

Thanks for replying guys!

Oh, btw, i didnt think reformating would fix the standby problem. It just happend to be time for reformating. I dont know why i said it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom