A peculiar botting issue

spoonjarspoon

Solid State Member
So I've Had my Pc about 6 months, and about 2 months ago i pressed my power button, and the LED's flashed and the fans started spinning, but for about half a second. i pressed the power button again and got nothing in return. I unplugged from the mains and back in again. Thankfully, with the next press of the on button, my PC booted up normally.

Over the past 2 months, it has been getting steadily worse, taking more attempts each time. It has previously taken me 20 minutes just to turn it on, because i had to repeat the process above so many times.

Recently, I got back from school and tried to turn my computer on. I expected to have to try a few dozen times before it worked so i prepared my self. About 50 tries later I gave up. The next day, i once again tried after school and got the same half second flash of LED and fan spin. That evening, I Opened up my case, gave it all a good blow and checked the connections to my motherboard, and then put the plug directly into the mains (it was previously on a strip power thing). After a couple tries, it turned on! A little later i turned it off when i ant to bed. This is the morning after and i am stuck back at the flash and the fans starting to spin then slowing down.

I have tried reseating the graphics card, and the power supply. The power supply is stuck at 230 volts, and the UK mains output at 240, and I'm not sure 10 volts makes a difference.

Any ideas regarding this strange behaviour?

Sounds like it could be a dying PSU. I don't suppose you have a spare one you could swap out to test, do you? If not, then I'd order a new one (or go to a local shop if you have one so if it's not the PSU you can return it easier). Swap out the PSU with the new one and see if that nets you any results.

Back
Top Bottom