Upgrading Graphics Card

treflolfl

Beta member
I just got a new desktop for free and wanted to upgrade the graphics card in it, but I want to make sure that I get one that my motherboard will a) accept and b) actually run. The desktop is an HP Pavilion and the model is p7-1003w. The link below is a direct link to its specs. The socket is AM3, the chipset is AMD 785G, and RAM is DDR3-1333. I was wanting to get a card with preferably 2-3gb and in the 200-250 range, GeForce preferably but if there is a better one that I am unaware of, by all means let me know. Also, if there are any other necessary changes I need to make to the tower such as a new power supply etc, then let me know. I have been quite out of the loop in the tech region and really haven't done any of this stuff since like high school. Hope to hear from you guys soon as I would like to get this ball rolling this weekend.

Desktop Specs
HP Pavilion p7-1000 Desktop PC series*-* HP Pavilion p7-1003w Desktop PC Product Specifications - c02871948 - HP Business Support Center

A pretty good rig for free if you ask me. Nice score.

If you have the Athlon X4 650 as specified and 8GB of RAM in the specs linked then that's a real good start. You'll need to upgrade the PSU for sure. 250w, not going to work.

This PSU will power your rig for many upgrades ahead.
SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

This card is perfect for your price range, and a really good performer overall. Pretty much max everything out with at least 4xAA @ 1080p.
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-2760-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Although out of your budget, if you can afford the bump up, I would grab the 4GB version instead.
Newegg.com - EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

Thanks :) I thought it was a pretty good score too. I honestly hadn't even check the power supply yet but I figured it needed to be changed out. Most stock desktop don't have what you need. I was actually looking at getting this card, even though its about $100 more than I had originally intended to get. Any thoughts?

The post hasn't gone through yet but I was looking at this one too. Which would be a better buy though? The 4GB GTX 760 or the 2GB GTX680? I know that size isn't always everything with these things. But if the 4GB one is better, it's about the same price. My only question is that the 760 doesn't say its PCI Express x16. Does that matter? Or would it run the same?

Yea new member posts with links have to be moderated. Was bugging the crap out of me last night.

A GTX770 is the same thing as a 680, so if you're willing to pay the extra cash for the 680 then I think it would be an alright investment if you're playing at 1080p resolution. My only problem is with Zotac, as they are a rather cheap brand. If you're ok with that, then go ahead.

All the cards mentioned are PCI-E 16x 3.0.

Back
Top Bottom