Budget Gaming Laptop!

thinkpink87

Beta member
I am looking for a laptop that's less than $800 that can run some PC games.

First, let me start by saying I am not looking into an expensive amazing laptop that is off the charts. This past spring/summer I built a desktop for my boyfriend so he could play all the games he wants. (I'm pretty proud of myself.. LOL!)

What I am looking for is a laptop that would be (mainly) used for basic things, but also has the specs that can decently run games.
I am interested to try to learn some PC games to play with my boyfriend, and since we can't be on the same computer, we need to get a second. My laptop just died.. so ideally I would like a laptop for the convenience.

The biggest dilemma I am having at the moment is with the CPUs. I went on and looked at system requirements for games like SC2 and Diablo III to get an idea, but when reading in some forums, a lot of people are claiming less powerful CPUs could run the games just fine. Right now he has been playing LOL, which isn't as demanding.. but I'm looking for a machine that could potentially support future games as well.

So, I guess what I am asking is :

-How important is CPU speed?
-Intel vs AMD?
-I know the GPU should have dedicated memory, is there a certain amount I should be looking for?
-Does anyone have an inexpensive laptop that they game on?

If anyone could help me, I would be very thankful!!!

Thanks in advance!

The questions you ask can be answered in different ways and are a bit subjective.

-How important is CPU speed?
It is as important as the programs you will be running. Some games are more processor intensive and will slow you down if your processor is lacking, while others are paimarirly GPU based and will slow you down if your GPU cannot keep up.
In general GPU is much more important for a gaming computer. However, some games are quite CPU intensive as well and will be slow even if you have the very best video card, but a lacking processor.

-Intel vs AMD?
For your particular case, I say AMD. They usually have higher performing GPUs than Intel, but have lacking CPUs. Assuming you are using hybid gaphics/processing (same chip).

-I know the GPU should have dedicated memory, is there a certain amount I should be looking for?
I would say 1GB should be fine, but no less than 512 ideally. However, this primarirly depends on screen resolution.

I know this is abit outside your price range, but this would make a decent gaming laptop.
I will update later if I find a better laptop or a better price.
It is $940
iBUYPOWER Computer :: 2012 Halloween Battalion 101 CZ-13 Gaming Laptop

Edit:
Here are two more suggestions:
$880 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215672
$780 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214496

Edit2: I think that the Acer ($880) offers the highest value of the three laptops in terms of gaming, if possible, I recommend saving up a little more money for that. If you cannot go as high as 880, for 780 you get a decent set up, but that extra $100 gives you much higher gaming performance with the Acer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom