Help: hard drive replacement

redfish

Intelligent Metalhead
So I just typed up a >500 word post on my iphone, then while exploring the smiley list before posting, I hit something on accident and deleted everything. :Fuu:

Anyways, here's my situation. I've had a long and painful history of software and driver problems with my computer, and I've replaced virtually every component of my computer, except for the hard drive, all to no avail. I've deliberated for years, but recently my internet adapter drivers and Microsoft Office finally bit the dust, leaving me a virtually useless PC. So, I bit the bullet and ordered two new hard drives last night. (Two, because I plan to run RAID 1 to avoid future corruption problems.) They are WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII hard disks with a 64 MB cache (maybe 16, I don't remember).

So, here's an outline of what I need to do (and what I'll need help with):
1. Uninstall the old hard drive, then install the new drives in a RAID 1 configuration. My motherboard is an ASRock 990 FX Extreme3, and I'm 99% sure it has native RAID support.
2. Install Windows. I vaguely remember something about some special process that must be taken to install windows on a RAID setup.
3. Re-install drivers... I'll have to spend some time digging up everything I need again.
4. Transfer files and programs. This is the part I dread most... I'm pretty sure my old drive is infested with all sorts of nasty viruses, considering I've been engaging in risky browsing for years with no antivirus. I also have a lot of programs that are expensive (at least, they are expensive for my bantam budget) and which I'm not sure if I have any remaining licenses for. The files, I assume I can copy to a flash drive, scan with another computer's antivirus, and then install them on the new drives from there. Is there any way I can do the same with the programs, though? There's a chance that any of them may be corrupted and/or infected, and I don't want to transfer any of my old drive's problems to the new ones.

I'm really nervous about this, so any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Well to be quite frank if you have any corruption with one drive it copies it over to the other in RAID1. They are mirrored drives.

The only drivers you will need is AMD video drivers for your card and the RAID drivers to set your drives up and make Windows see them. Windows 7 should have ethernet drivers already if you are running LAN. If you have a wireless card then you will probably need those too.

Honestly, if you are having so many troubles software wise and since you want to RAID then a completely fresh install of everything is recommended. The easiest thing I can say is, get your fresh install of Windows going and then install your AV. Put your other drive in and scan the whole thing before copying or running any files. If everything checks out then simply transfer your music/docs/pics/vids over like normal. Some programs you can simply copy paste over, but not all can do this.

Ah. I didn't specify this, but I plan to completely trash the old drive; I ordered two of the new drives. After all the problems it's given me, I don't plan on ever letting the old drive even near the two new drives lest the evil spirits within escape and curse the new drives.

My bad, I misinterpreted what you said xD I see what you meant now though. If that is the case, then what is the benefit of RAID 1? I thought it was to prevent corruption...

Back
Top Bottom