750$ for a Asus G74S?

xbianco

Beta member
I have a chance to buy an Asus G74S for about 750$. New Condition. Should i buy this for gaming? Can i upgrade the components over time? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

This is a laptop I take it? You can always upgrade the HDD and RAM, but that is it. You cannot upgrade the CPU or GPU on a laptop. What you see is what you get.

This is a laptop I take it? You can always upgrade the HDD and RAM, but that is it. You cannot upgrade the CPU or GPU on a laptop. What you see is what you get.
Actually, 75% of the time you can change the CPU. It's the GPU that normally you can't upgrade but since most gaming laptops these days use MXM 3.0b then usually if the PSU can handle it and the cooling is sufficient you can get a new board off Ebay.

The laptop isn't a bad laptop, but I don't know if I would spend 750 on it personally.

Actually, 75% of the time you can change the CPU. It's the GPU that normally you can't upgrade but since most gaming laptops these days use MXM 3.0b then usually if the PSU can handle it and the cooling is sufficient you can get a new board off Ebay.

The laptop isn't a bad laptop, but I don't know if I would spend 750 on it personally.

It's just usually not very financially-wise to do so. Usually you can only upgrade to a CPU that has a minuscule performance increase, but it's very expensive. Same with the GPU... And not all form factors for cards are the same; I've looked into upgrading the 5870 in my G73, and there's only a few cards I can upgrade to, and I would have to hardware mod a couple of them (there's several different brands that are possible).

So while it may be possible.. it's usually just not advisable.

It's just usually not very financially-wise to do so. Usually you can only upgrade to a CPU that has a minuscule performance increase, but it's very expensive. Same with the GPU... And not all form factors for cards are the same; I've looked into upgrading the 5870 in my G73, and there's only a few cards I can upgrade to, and I would have to hardware mod a couple of them (there's several different brands that are possible).

So while it may be possible.. it's usually just not advisable.

Yeah, that's what I meant, PP. You CAN, but the preformance boost you get from the CPU/GPU is very slight. So that's why I say no to that. It isn't worth your time and money.

I recommend looking into a better deal for similar or higher power laptops before making the purchase, but this one is a viable option.

Back
Top Bottom