first pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take my word for this, but I do believe (from a few quick google searches) ivy bridge/sandy bridge are far better than AMD in the gaming field. Those AMD FX CPUs are for budget gaming, they aren't the very best but they work great for budget builds. With your $700 budget it's gonna be tough fitting an ivy/sandy bridge in there so I wouldn't bother unless you're going to consider increasing the budget.

Don't take my word for this, but I do believe (from a few quick google searches) ivy bridge/sandy bridge are far better than AMD in the gaming field. Those AMD FX CPUs are for budget gaming, they aren't the very best but they work great for budget builds. With your $700 budget it's gonna be tough fitting an ivy/sandy bridge in there so I wouldn't bother unless you're going to consider increasing the budget.
To add another to the list of replies, the only FX CPU worth getting is the 4170. Unless you have a task or tasks that will take absolutely all 8 cores 100% then there is no reason at all to buy an FX CPU unless you simply can meet the budget.

I think id get the AMD cpu and mother board, for an operating system I would just get windows 7 home premium, but would it be better to pay the extra money to get it brand new, or would oem be fine?

The difference between oem and the retail copy of windows is that the oem copy is good for the lifetime of the motherboard. the retail copy can be installed on as many computers as you want... one at a time.

The difference between the AMD and Intel setups is actually nothing. The AMD motherboard is 100 bucks more than the Intel board and the Intel CPU is 100 bucks more than the AMD CPU. Might as well get the 2500k setup.

The difference between the AMD and Intel setups is actually nothing. The AMD motherboard is 100 bucks more than the Intel board and the Intel CPU is 100 bucks more than the AMD CPU. Might as well get the 2500k setup.
you are right, but I thought that sense it had 4.3ghz that meant it was faster

you are right, but I thought that sense it had 4.3ghz that meant it was faster

it can be confusing but there are many factors to how 'fast' a cpu is.

there are the number of cores; consider it the number of arms. a dual core machine has 2 arms, a quad core ... has 2 arms and 2 legs working. some newer chips look a bit like vishnu.

then theres hyper threading, that's like having an opposable thumb on the hands and can sort of get twice as much done as a single arm in some situations.

then there is the architecture. this is the size of the muscles and where a lot of people get confused. older chips are the pipe cleaners. pentium 4's are that tiny guy at the gym with the pipe cleaner arms that is doing hundreds of pushups ... girl pushups. newer architecture makes the core stronger while still having the same number of arms as that little guy. the little guy might do just as many or even twice as many pushups as these big guys, but the big guys are doing more work. they are moving more weight around. the number of pushups in a minute is the Ghz, but the architecture makes the chip look like duke nukem or schwarzenegger before he got fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom