[HW BUGS] Double Boot and my box is eating SSDs! P6P67+G.SKILL RAM+SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
Hi All, Having big time issues here and it's driving me nuts. Can someone tell me if I'm missing something obvious?

First things first, my rig:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

MoBo: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Proc: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Video:SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

HD: MICROCENTER Brand (ADATA) 120GB 2.5" SATA III 6.0Gbps Solid State Drive (SSD) with SandForce SF-2281 Controller

PSU: XFX XXX Edition 650 Watt Power Supply P1650XCAG9

now my issues:

1. Double boot: When I try to power on the box, it turns on for about 10secs, then resets itself, stays on 10secs, resets itself and continues this till I put it out of it's misery. The screen is blank throughout cycling. I have to hold down the power for 5secs to power down, then power back on and it starts working normally. I have had this problem for ~18mo since i built it! I am pretty sure this had to do with my MoBo/RAM configuration. Can anyone tell me how to tweek my bios to get the RAM/MoBo to work on the first try?

2. My computer is eating SSD's!!! Last week my old 60GB MicroCenter SSD that was running my OS crashed hard. I got a blue screen of death/critical script error/memory dump and when I restarted, i would get a warning during start up that there is no boot disk. Looking through the bios, the SSD was not listed. I returned the SSD for a new one. All they had to replace my old one was the latest 120GB MicroCenter SSD (listed above). I reinstalled windows and drivers off MoBo disk and within minutes got another BSoD. it would continue to try and boot upon restarting, it still recognized the disk. When I tried to reinstall the OS, it couldnt find the SSD! so i cancel teh OS reinstall, and it tries to boot from the SSD agian! Try to reinstall OS, cant find SSD! AHHHHHHH!!!!! I returned for another SSD. Install windows, install drivers of MoBo disk, within minutes i get another BSoD. same dang bs as before. I am on my 3rd SSD now and am getting BSoD again! Any idea what is going on???? :fou:

Throughout all these crashes, my 500GB storage drive has remained uneffected. It is on the same power cable as teh ssd so I dont think my PSU is burning em up or anything like that. I also find it fishy that it will boot from teh SSD and keep crashing shortly there after, but it wont recognize the SSD exists when I try and reinstall windows.

I wanted to get some advice before returing my 4th SSD to MicroCenter!

I'm not sure about your second half, but as for your RAM, get and run memtest86+. Have to boot off a CD with it. Run at most 2 passes. If any error, try running each stick on its own to pinpoint the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom