USB trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just found others with the exact same problem..however they too have no other solutions to the problem.....scan the scanner installation disk for the file

Ok, here we go:

1. Check what OS you are using - if it is Windows 95 - that could be the source of the trouble - it doesn't officially support USB. Windows 98 is better, but still troublesome with certain hardware.

2. You said you have 2 USB ports on the PC and more on a card, correct? The ports on the PC (motherboard) will be USB 1.1 - USB 2.0 didn't even exist when the system was manufactured! Your add-in card is probably 1.1 unless it was just installed within the last several months. The error message you're getting is probably related to the fact that the scanner is USB 2.0 - it will not work on a 1.1 port, however 1.1 devices will work on a 2.0 port.

3. Check the "USB Serial Controllers" in your device manager - if there is a yellow question mark next to it, it means there is a problem and the drivers need to be reinstalled/updated.

4. As far as the power issue - if a device needs additional power to work properly, it will include an a/c adapter. Webcams are low power and will run off the USB port just fine.

5. To find info on your OS and CPU speed, right-click on "My Computer" and select properties. It will bring up the System Properties dialog box - the first tab will show your OS and type/speed of CPU. To get to the Device Manager, simply select the "hardware" tab and you should see the device manager.

6. See if you can download webcam drivers from the manufacturers website - you may just need new drivers to get it working properly.

Good Luck! Hope this info helps.

Ok u guys my I went to systems and this is on it.......KMD-K6(tm)3D processor....412 MHZ.....96.0 MB of ram and 1.09 of free space.
I bought a USB 4 port hub at best buy with it's power supply.I asked ther and they agreed it was a 1.1 usb port.I got a 1.1 12Mbps,XP,HUB.I did have trouble installing it cuz for some reason it didn't do it automatically and it kept asking for the usb device driver !,I finally got it done but I'm not sure how I did it .I went to device manager and it says Generic USB HUB,I clicked on it and it says system working properly. I downloaded W/XP driver from CREATIVE website for my webcam bcuz I broke my CD for it and it is XP compatible anyway. I plugged in the webcam in the hub and at the last of the installation process I got a window saying " power exceeded on usb hub"!! I trouble shot it thru W Wizard and tried to reinstall it and then I get"this device cannot start.(code 10) the only thing it tells me is to plug the webcam in the other PC USB port and we know that didn't work either cuz that's what started this mess! I will go to the webcam and USB HUB websites to try to get info. ...WAIT!!...while I was in device manager I noticed that there is something else with a yellow question mark on it that wasn't there before! under "DISPLAY ADAPTERS" there are 2 things ,One I figured out is my monitor and the other is this...SiS 5598/6326,I clicked on it,updated driver,trouble shot it but it only looks for a better driver and it says I have the best one already but it still has the question mark.What is it?Could it be there because I tried to install the webcam?..What a mess!!

You're running Windows XP correct? Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade? As for the Device Manager problem - your monitor should be listed separately under "monitors" - the "Display Adaptors" will be your video card. Try this - in device manager, right click on the item with the yellow question mark and choose "uninstall" - this will remove it. Restart windows and it should pick up the hardware and reinstall the drivers. Before you do that - download the newest drivers for your video card. Anytime there is a conflict with device drivers, it can cause all sorts of strange things to happen.
Finally, try uninstalling the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". You might have to remove each item under it separately - when you restart Windows, it will detect the hardware and reinstall it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom