Is this power supply good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appljuze

Beta member
I'm upgrading a fairly old computer's graphics card. The computer has Win7, a dual core 2.66GHz processor, 4gb of ram, 32-Bit OS.

I'm getting a low end card since I'm on a tight budget, but it requires 400W of power and my current PSU is only 300W. So the power supply I was going to get is 585W. Would this be enough power and would this small upgrade work?

Here's links to the two items:

PSU- Newegg.com - hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included

Graphics Card- Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

That power supply isnt worth the money...

I seriously think you shouldnt skimp on the power supply. I'd recommend spending 10 bucks more on a good 430w Santec: Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

3yr warrenty and alot more efficient. As a FYI, watts are a good measure, but Amps are just as important. The HEC has 585W and about 39A. The Antec has 430W and 34A. Which means the Antec has more umph to drive the system than the 585W HEC.

bUT the HEC will do what you need.

This one would be a great psu too:
Newegg.com - Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply Though its not an 80% efficent psu.

Welcome to TF TOO

Right, but is a 430W power supply going to be able to power a card that requires 400W of power? That's only leaving 30W for the rest of the entire computer.

Actually, when they say the card needs XXX W, That is for the entire system. The gpu only draws about 43Watts when running.
Here's 3dgurus power testing nof it.. Radeon HD 5570 review

Its as common mistake folks make.

Myh old quad with dual gtx 260's use to draw 527W total at everything loaded up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom