Aftermarket CPU cooling, suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
I've been trying to do some research on this issue, and can never reach a concrete solution. I want to pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler that will fit on an MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard in a Zalman Z9+ case (8.15in/207mm wide). I have no idea how much room is between the tray and side panel in the case, or how thick the motherboard is, so I'm not sure how much room I have to work with. Also read quite a bit about losing RAM slots to oversized heatsinks, would like to avoid that if possible.

Considered a Corsair H50/60 for convenience, but reviews on them aren't great (though most of the reviews were on elitist OC forums). I'm not looking to push my CPU to ridiculous OC limits so not loking for a true WC setup, but something fairly basic to keep it cool when I start tinkering with it.

Bonus points if you can identify a solid choice for me on the combo list for the CPU I'll be picking up!

what memory do you have that your worried about blocking? If you use regular sized modules you won't have any problems. To be honest the fancy memory heatsinks are just that, fancy.

This is the best performing combo I see that will work with all memory modules.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

My next choice would be the Frio with standard size modules.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

G.Skill Ripjaws X series. Don't have the nerve to try removing the fins off the top. I like that Thermaltake Frio, may just cross my fingers and give it a shot. Wasn't looking to drop $100+ for cooling or I'd be all over the H70.
From the reviews I read the H50 and H60 are comparable to top-end air cooling, I know the Frio is probably not "top-end", but is it close enough that I shouldn't be tempted to spend the extra $16 for the H60?

check the antec 620 and 920 some reviews put them better than H50/60/70 and are the same sistem basicly but with better results and were recently launched or if ya want the best air go with. frio looks awesome and they say it performs awesome i personally have a corsair A70 and have been pleased with it but always the lust for more oc is driving me to xheck out the antec coolers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom