Old Athlon II on it's last legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelzup

Beta member
I'm planning on moving from my old AMD Athlon II X2 250 over to an Intel i-7-2600k and I'm trying to decide which motherboard to go with. So far I'm leaning towards an ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel but I would like to hear what other possible options there might be for me. Along with that I'd like to drop a matched pair of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) kits for a total of 16GB of RAM.

The only thing that is confusing about choosing the right memory is that it states and I'm quoting here "DDR3 2133(O.C.)*/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066
(* Due to CPU behavior, DDR3 2200/2000/1800 MHz memory module will run at DDR3 2133/1866/1600 MHz frequency as default.)" does that mean if I want to get the fastest memory possible that I should forget about DDR3 2200 and get DDR3 2133 since that's the fastest it will run when O. C. There are a lot more choices with the 2133 or is the DDR3 1600 kit I have noted here going to be fast enough?

I have an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 sound card, I have a great case a Corsair Obsidian 800 case along with a pair of DVD burners plus storage that amounts to well over 3TB with two WD drives and a 120GB SSD drive that uses the SF-1200 SandForce controller. I'm using an 850W Corsair PSU and using Corsair's Hydro Series H60 cooler. I'm also trying to decide if I should get a pair of AMD 6970 video cards and run Crossfire or should I just get single GTX 580 or even just one 6970? My current card is an ATI Radeon 5770. I'm guessing that depending on which way I go with video that I may have to get a larger power supply. I've been doing a lot of research and it seems that some are able to use an 850W PSU but I also might try over-clocking a bit but not much. I'll be using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version installed on the SSD drive.

I have a budget of $1500 to work with for basically gutting the good parts from one to create a newer system.

The computer will pull double duty work and play. The most taxing software I have is Adobe's Web Premium CS4 soon to move up to CS5 and the games I'm playing are mostly FPS.

Any suggestions would sure be appreciated especially when it comes to the motherboard and video card options or even any other parts I could switch out. Oh yea I don't want or need Bluetooth on the motherboard thus the current choice for my board. I'm sure that with my budget being what it is I could go in any number of different directions/combinations hardware wise. All I am sure of is that it's time to move away from my current system to something much more versatile and speedy.

I don't think I've left anything out but if I have let me know.

Going with anything over 1600 will just give you more headroom when overclocking as far as RAM goes. 1600 is the native speed of the mobo. You can still OC 1600 RAM. I find 1600 to be plenty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom