New build wont boot. BSOD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

plant

In Runtime
Hi all,
Iv just put a new machine together as my last one died, and I cant get it to boot! Spec is as follows

15-2500k with thermalright venomous cooler
4GB Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit - CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
ASUS P8P67 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
2tb samsung spinpoint
650w corsair psu

The red ‘DRAM ‘ LED on the mobo stays on, so I hold the button next to it and it runs memory tests and restarts the comp til it finds settings that work. I then get it to boot from a windows xp cd, and it does this all the way through loading drivers etc, then blue screen of deaths as soon as it says ‘setup is starting windows' or something of that nature. This happens consistently every time.

I have removed the sound card, and tried two different graphics card (new geforce 8400gs and old 8800 GTX).
I removed the 2tb samsung drive and replaced it with 320gb sg barracuda I had in the old system.
Im at my wits end here! Its not a heat issue as fan is properly installed and system is running nice and cool.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Cheers in advance!!

OK just figured out the cause of the problem, so thought id post up here to help others out.

apparently because win xp is outdated, you need to change the SATA settings in the BIOS from the default AHCI Mode to IDE Mode, or use a floppy disk with the AHCI drivers on.

I dont even have a lfoppy drive anymre, so changed the setting to IDE and it worked.

Now going to install windows 7 (didnt have a bootable copy to use, so had to use xp first then upgrade to 7 once running windows), and change back to AHCI.

job done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom