First build. It's a monster! Many questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxxt

Beta member
I have composed a list a parts that I may acquire to build a computer.

Processor - Intel Core i 7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown
Motherboard - EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA Extended ATX Intel
SSD - OCZ Vertex 2 Pro OCZSSD2-2VTXP200G 2.5" 200GB SATA II MLC
RAM - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Video Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 5970
Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Case - Lian Li PC-X2000F

Yes I realize the prices on these parts, no I don't have a price limit. My first and foremost question is, will this build work? Are all of the components going to sync well with one another? or does anyone notice some problems right away? Also, I realize I did not mention a power supply. This is because I'm not sure how much I would need. What would be sufficient enough to get the thing kicking? Please give me any and all feedback. I would love to here what you think about this.

980X isn't worth it unless you plan to do some serious OCing/benchmarking with watercooling.
Grab a 950, it will do everything you need. Trust ;)

A 650W PSU should be all you need, but you might want to get an 850W in case you decide to get another graphics card in the future.

You'll want about an 800 from a quality brand, Corsair, SeaSonic, Silverstone, certain Antecs and OCZ. Maybe higher if you wish for a 4 way xfire.

You DEFFINATELY want quick ram, as you only have 1333 speed, 1666 or higher for sure.

You really either want to get a great cooler, Noctua nh-d12 or 14 likely, or not get such a crazy overclocking type board.

You'll ned a dvd type drive to.

Other than the ram, it'll be very nice.

Edit

Soul got me by 4 minutes..... wow i'm slow.

Even with the 980X, is this build stable. Will all of these components work properly with one another?

For alternate RAM I've found:
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
This good enough?

Because of various limitations (mainly due to the CPU) 2000Mhz ram isn't so great, doesn't let you OC much. 1600Mhz is the usual pick.
Also, because of the way the 980x works, a 950 will actually be faster for gaming generally. Especially with an OC on it. Grab yourself an i7 950 and a Noctua NH-D14 cooler and you'll be set

Alright, I've looked into some more of OCZ's Platinum series. They have about three different 1600 MHz RAMs. If you're interested, you could check the three out at the website from this link Platinum XTC Series OCZ Technology I have no idea which of the three is the better, but I'd appreciate any help you gave me. As for the MoBo, it supports the triple channel DDR3s up to a max of 24GB of memory.

I would recommend GTX 580 over HD5970. Not only the performance is so close, but you get extra features like PhysX and you get the chance to add another GTX 580 for SLI in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom