What the difference between 2003 server and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

vance43211

Banned
What the difference between 2003 server and XP?

I had to fix a customer's server and he gave me the 2003 server disc to fix it with.

i notice it seem to be Xp without all the extra goofy features. I spend about a week after reformatting my xp of stripping it of of Xp's tracking stuff. it looks like most of that stuff is missing from 2003 server.

My computer in the basement is used more as a server than anything else. should I buy 2003 server and replace xp as the OS? what benefit would i get from it?

I had to fix a customer's server and he gave me the 2003 server disc to fix it with.
Hopefully what you mean is they gave you the Server2003 CD to work with on fixing their server, and you gave it back when done. We'll not support piracy. :umm:

i notice it seem to be Xp without all the extra goofy features.
That would probably be because Server2003 is for running SERVERS...not end-user desktops.

Windows Server 2003 is just what it is...a Windows Server. The difference between XP and 2003 is that one is designed for end-users, the other is for servers.

Microsoft has a wonderful section of their website dedicated to Server 2003. If you want to know all the ins-and-outs of 2003, that would be the best place to look.

The benefits are that 2003 will let you run as a full-blown server, and that the "tracking" features are turned off by default (instead of as in XP where you have to turn them off manually).

In a home network, Server 2003 wouldn't be worth it at all (unless you have a really big home network). Server 2003 is also kinda pricey.

thanks for the info.

I kinda of like it. xp should make a version like it, and

we should have a choice

Elbatrop1, it looks like you are right. it's expensive
the guy who computer that i fixed, said his computer costs $10,000.00 and windows server costs him $1,000.00

I have installed server2003 enterprise on my comp some time ago...I didn't really like it, i cannot remember why, i only used it for an hour and formatted again...it was too stripped down i think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom