Weird shutdown issue on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanchan05

In Runtime
Ok so I have a weird issue with my laptop, its a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite. It suddenly automatically shuts down for no known reason from time to time. I had initially thought it was overheating, but the shutting down is too random IMO, sometimes even when I have just powered it up less than an hour before. I have noticed though that it does this when I am doing rather RAM intensive processes (playing starcraft 2, ripping DVDs, converting videos), so I wondered if there are any tools I could use which would allow me to check the integrity of my RAM hardware.

@MindoverMaster - it happens on AC/DC...The battery of this one is already sucking (3yrs of the original battery in use, so it basically lasts for about an hour or less. I just use it now as a sort of back-up power against power outage. I'm always plugged in school.

@Corrosive - No, the fried laptop was an HP Pavilion, this one is a Tosh Satellite which I started re-using because of the fried GPU on the other one. (basically this unit is better as though it has 0.16Ghz less proc power, it has more than twice the VRAM, the issue being this is quite heavy to bring to school as its a 17.1 incher, and the HP was a 14incher)

PS: Oh yeah, if I remember correctly, if you got shut down due to overheating, the booting up right after would be difficult right? I mean the unit would not want to boot up right after such an incident. However my Tosh boots up easily.

An overheat will not cause a problem on boot up after. I did this many times before, overheating. If it was overheating, letting it rest, cool off, would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom