"Hitting" Computer Temporarily Fixes Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peoples-2

Beta member
I have a Sony VAIO VGC-RC110G desktop computer. I have had problems with it for over a year, but they have always been on and off and it will more often than not work properly. However, it frequently turns partially off on its own (monitor turns off and the fans shut down, but the power button is still in "hibernate" mode). It will not respond to clicking the mouse or typing on the keyboard, so I typically push the power button off and it turns off completely. When I go to turn it back on, the screen turns on but is blank, then the computer will beep three long beeps. What is really interesting is that if I "smack" the top of the computer several times, it will turn on the next time I push the start button, and then go on to work for an hour, a week, etc. (Keep in mind this works nearly every time I encounter the problem.)

I looked up what the three beeps means and I found it meant some sort of keyboard error...so I did the logical thing and replaced the keyboard with a wireless keyboard...and I still have the problem.

Then I decided, what the heck, let's do a full system restore. Wiped everything clean...you guessed it, still have the issue.

Since "smacking" it seems to fix it temporarily, I am inclined to believe that there is something out of place internally, and that by hitting the computer it jolts back into place. Now I know this seems far fetched, but it literally works every time when I hit it. If I don't hit it, it will repeatedly just turn on to a blank screen in the "hibernate" mode described above.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? Thanks for any help and I will be happy to clarify anything.

I'd go and reseat all the plugs, cards and RAM sticks, and see what happens. If hittying it works, then something could very well be loose.

Might also ensure the mobo screws are snug and the mobo isn't shifting and grounding out.

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the input and welcome. I went ahead and reseated everything. Nothing looked out of place.

I guess I'll just have to wait until it happens again (if it does). Hopefully reseating fixed the issue but if not I'll have the panel open next time when I lightly "hit it" to see if anything moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom