Considering new SSD for old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

boodledoop9494

Beta member
Hey all,
I have an old Compaq V5201US
Product Specifications HERE.

I intend to get a new desktop in about a year, but for now, I want to speed up my laptop and make it more rugged. I am considering an upgrade to a Small SSD drive like the $100 OCZ 30gb.

My question is this: Would a new SSD be compatible with my old laptop Motherboard?
Would I see the full extent of the speed benefits of the SSD, or would the motherboard-HD interface limit the functioning of the new drive?
Do you think the upgrade is worth it? After I get a new desktop in a year, I would intend to continue using this laptop as a portable computer for taking notes, lectures, internet, etc, but would do most beefy computing/entertainment on the (future) desktop.

Thanks
BoodleDoop

Some do, some don't. Smaller laptops and netbooks tend to use miniSATA (or PCI Express Mini connectors) while the larger ones use SATA (I believe). Best way to find out is to remove your laptop's hard drive and see what connection it has. If it's SATA, you're in luck.
Of course your laptop could be fairly old, and have a mini-IDE connection, in which case you're especially screwed.

Looks to me like your current notebook uses an IDE interface (or mini IDE). The drive you want is SATA so the connections won't work.

You'll have to find a drive with an IDE interface (mini i believe).

Honestly with that computer i don't think youll see much if any performance gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom