FAN running too quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramdude

Baseband Member
Hey I did a fresh install of windows 7 after 6 months of use , the laptop is faster however the fan is still making more noise than it should - I downloaded speed fan - but have no idea how use it any tips ?

so basically how can I stabilize the fan so its quieter

cheers

I found this, I don't know if it will work for you

I had posted a while back about Speedfan settings and I thought I would leave an update for anyone out there who would rather use something other than Corecenter. Since I got Speedfan working the way I want it, I have no use for Corecenter at all.

Here's the settings you need to let Speedfan control your CPU fan like Corecenter on the MSI K8T Neo FIS2R with the retail heatsink on a 3200+ Clawhammer. This worked for me and it should work for you too, but I make no guarantees...proceed at your own risk

On the Readings tab, make sure there is a check mark in the "Automatic fan speed block". Then click Configure.
On this screen, go to the Temperatures tab.
The available temperature readings will be listed. Temp 1 is the motherboard temp and Temp 2 is the CPU temp on my board.
If your hard drive supports it, there will be a hard drive temp as well. I recommend checking all boxes.
Click on the text "Temp 2" and some fields will open at the bottom.
I have my desired temp as 35 C and my warning temp as 55 C. Adjust accordingly for Newcastles. Put a checkmark in "Show in Tray".
Expand Temp 2 with the plus mark and put a check in both boxes (Speed01 and Speed02).
Next, go to the Fans tab. On this screen, Fan01 is the CPU fan for my board (plugged into the motherboard for it to control).
Be sure there is a check in box for Fan01.
Go to the Speeds tab and put a check mark in both boxes (Speed01 and Speed02).
Click on the actual text "Speed01" and new fields will appear at the bottom. Make the minimum 1% and the maximum 100% and put a check mark in the box for "Automatically variated".
Do the same for "Speed02".
Go to the Options tab and set the "Delta value for fan speeds to 10" and put a check in the box for "Set fans to 100 percent on program exit".
Go to the Advanced Tab and click on the drop down box.
Select the Winbond Sensor.
Change PWM 1 Mode and PWM 2 Mode to "Manual PWM Control" if they aren't set to that already and put a check in the "remember it" box.
Make sure PWM 1 Enable and PWM 2 Enable are set to "ON".
Add Speedfan to your Windows Start-up and say good bye to Corecenter.

This has worked great for me so far. If you like living on the edge, you can change the minimum fan speed to 0 percent. I did this and it will actually stop the CPU fan completely when the CPU is at idle. At first I thought it just got below what the sensor could read, but it actually stopped it. You'd be surprised how cool this runs at idle without the fan moving. However, I leave the minimum at 1 percent just to be safe.
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=78423.0

Try going into the laptop's BIOS and seeing if there are any fan speed settings.

Check your temperatures (with a program like Hardware Monitor) before making any changes though.

Make sure the bios settings are set to automatically control the fan speed. This way the fan(s) will only go faster/get louder when you are doing some heavy processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom